Our new roaming giveaway is live find out more here!
Give us your feedback about how easy you've found getting ready to roam on the above linked article, and you'll be in with the chance to win one of 10, 7 day Go Roam passes to use in Europe and Around the World destinations. Prize draw open till 01 May 2024
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement SIM problem

pikeman101
Regular

Bit of a saga this one and I'm losing patience with Three customer service...

I reported my phone lost on the 20th March and my SIM was deactivated, plus the handset was blacklisted. Thankfully the phone was found and returned to me on the 21st, and I contacted customer services via webchat to get a replacement SIM and the handset unblacklisted. Since then I have received a new SIM which didn't work (Settings/ SIM Manager listed -  unknown number). Back to webchat... they confirmed that my phone had been unblacklisted but the SIM was the  "the wrong one"! Yesterday I went to my local Three store to pick up another one...there was a problem with the first SIM and it couldn't be synced to my number. The 2nd SIM appeared to sync ok and the staff member said it could take up to 24 hours to activate in the handset but should only be a couple of hours. I noticed that the SIM was listed as "unknown number" again in SIM Manager, but the store manager said that this was normal and that it would eventually register. After several restarts since then I still have no network and I'm relying on WiFi calling. 

What the hell is going on? I have an open complaint with the Customer Relations team as this is now unacceptable that I haven't had a resolution to this problem.  I'm going back to the Three store today but I have a feeling that I'm going to be passed back and forth between them and customer relations.

Any comments from the community would be most welcome 🙂

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @pikeman101,

I'm sorry to hear about this, it sounds really frustrating.

Just to check, when you say Wi-Fi calling, are you using Wi-Fi calling or a messaging App like WhatsApp to call?

The reason I ask, is that the SIM and number would have to have reactivated on the network in order for you to make Wi-Fi calls.

It may help to narrow down whether this relates to the phone, and possibly the blacklisting and unblacklisting, or if it's an issue with the SIM swaps.

Do you have access to any other phone you can test your SIM card with, to establish if the issue relates to the phone or SIM/account? Failing this, is there any other SIM you can test in your phone?

Thanks,
Jonathan

We'd like to hear your feedback! Let us know how easy you find it to get ready to Roam, and be in with a chance to win 7 days of free Roaming Passes – find out more here!

pikeman101
Regular

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your response.

I am only able to use WhatsApp to make calls over WiFi and send messages. I'm not able to make calls or send SMS via the regular method.

I should have asked the staff member in store to check the SIM in another device, but I will be returning to the Eastbourne branch tomorrow.

I only have a 5 year old Nokia Windows handset which was on the O2 network, so is there any value in trying the SIM in that?

This is incredibly frustrating and I just don't understand what the issue is. My bigger concern is that Three Customer Relations and the store staff don't know either! Regardless, I am not at fault and I am finding the lack of progress in resolving the issue incredibly stressful.

Thanks again

pikeman101
Regular

I also don't have another SIM to test..

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @pikeman101,

Thanks for clearing this up, the Wi-Fi calling part threw me off a little bit, as that would have implied the SIM was active on the network, but as you meant WhatsApp calling over Wi-Fi we're on the same page again now.

If it's an 02 phone that's a few years old, it may be network locked to their service, but it's worth a go to see if we can confirm whether the issue is to do with the blacklisting, or a failure of the new SIM to activate.

If this isn't practical with the 02 phone, then hopefully the store can help test that for you.

Please let me know how you get on, and I'll check into if I have any options to help escalate this in the meantime.

Thanks,
Jonathan

We'd like to hear your feedback! Let us know how easy you find it to get ready to Roam, and be in with a chance to win 7 days of free Roaming Passes – find out more here!

pikeman101
Regular

Thank you Jonathan for your continued assistance. The SIM didn't fit the old Nokia, so my next step will be to obtain assistance from the store tomorrow.

I'll update you on my return.

Thanks again 

pikeman101
Regular

The visit to the store was useful only in that the staff member was able to confirm, after much deliberation and confusion, that the reason why none of the SIMs are working is that the complaints team are in the process of sending me a SIM..and this takes precedence over any other SIM replacement. This is an absolute disgrace, as the Customer Relations team told me to go to the store to pick up a SIM! I am furious, as I have not received a SIM in the post and I've no network for over a week

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @pikeman101,

That's really disappointing to hear, it sounds like the order for the replacement SIM is stuck on the system, if the store couldn't replace this on their end a couple of days later.

In case this still hasn't been resolved in the meantime, I've sent you a PM which will help you get in touch with some colleagues who can hopefully help.

To view your private messages on the community, click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

Thanks,
Jonathan