cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable To Make or Calls

Timbo70
Fledgling

I currently own a LG V50 and have been using Three for many years without any problems.

Yesterday the phone stopped being able to recieve or make phone calls. I suspect this is related to the 3G switch off.

This phone should be able to support Volte, but I can not find the setting to switch it on.

Do I need a new sim card to enable the feature?

TIA

5 REPLIES 5
Geluk
Key player

You need new phone, not SIM!

akerbeltz
Fledgling

I've hit the same wall. I'm on a Sony Xperia 5 which has worked fine since June 2021 - which in theory according to Three's device support tool should be fine - but since Thursday night, no calls in or out and no data connection. First support person sent me a new SIM, arrived today, no difference. Tried a Huawei P9 I still had lying around, also nothing. Husband is also on Three, but different phone model, no problems, so it's not the network - walking down the street some distance doesn't help either. After a 'support' session lasting nearly 2 hrs, I am no further than I was to begin with. Well, I have been told to wait for up to a *week* to see if the problem goes away (and I thought that was the advice for a common cold, not telephony...) and that if I wanted I could cancel my contract. Yeah right... talk about the lazy way out.

At no stage did the 'agent' suggest it might be related to the age of the phone but having dug around on the internet, I suspect that there's a selection of devices which for mobile operators fall into the 'who cares' category and are somehow collateral damage in the 3G switchoff even though technically they oughtn't be.

Since the fingerprint reader got fried in the last Android update Sony pushed for my Xperia 5, I've bitten the bullet and ordered an Xperia 10 VI ... I'll let you know if that fixes the issue.

Thank you for that - saved me a 2 hour support call. I agree with "collateral damage in the 3G switchoff"

Coincidentally I have also opted to try a Sony Xperia 10 VI (wanted a phone with a headphone jack)

I shall also provide an update. I also have a new sim on the way (just in case)

Just received my Xperia 10 VI - can confirm can now make phone calls!

akerbeltz
Fledgling

Yes, same here, new phone bounces to 4G and everything works. I'm still going to write a stinking letter, either a phone is supported or not, just dumping this kind of nonense is not ok. And what's ESPECIALLY not ok is for use to have to divine that by hitting Google, rather than some agent suggesting out loud it could be the age of the phone...