cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used to have the free 200M data sim but it stopped without notification?

pwalk
Active

For the last couple of years, I've had an active free 200MB monthly data sim.
Recently after the online account and app has been updated, I couldn't see my allowance or refresh date. The SIM continued working fine (data and incoming calls as well).

I chatted to support and the agent appeared a bit clueless and claiming this has stopped. I didn't see how this could have been stopped since it was working fine and I haven't heard anything about it from Three. When I confirmed that I can still use data on it (while roaming as well, as it used to), the agent's reply was basically "that's great".

After coming off the chat, it has suddenly stopped.
Now, I understand that the service might have stopped and it was a free service, but to cut it off just like that, without notification and after chatting to support who didn't appear to know abut it, is strange to say the least. For all purposes, this was a normal working SIM from Three, albeit for data only. I'm sure something's wrong here?

199 REPLIES 199
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate your help Jonathan

bronxboy
Regular

Any Update ??

DwvidIT
Fledgling

I have had the data reward sim for several years now. WHen I noticed that paid credit was being used, I found that the free 220Mb per month was no longer there.

I complained to Three who told me (in sequence):

1. Its no longer available to new registrations (mine wasnt new)

2. There was a technical fault on my account, which they were trying to fix

3. It is no longer available.

4. It should be available since the offer was 'for life'

5. This was wrong and its no longer available. They insist that they had the right to withdraw the offer (I agee, for future registrations - The Terms and Conditions on the current website state this, but aren't clear whether the withdrawal of the free allowance was for current or new registrations. I pointed out that even if tyhey had a right of withdrawal, I did not believe they could vary a customers Ts & Cs without notifying them of this.

Finally they agreed to pay me a fixed £10 of credit to use on the account.

After repeatedly querying why they could not give a clear statement of their obligations (and several users on this community forum having complained to the ombudsman) I gave up, accepted the £10 credit and told them I would never use a Three sim of any sort again.

Theior behaviour was weither devious, incompetent, and showed a complete lack of understanding by their agents of the system. Even a formal complaint to a Three complaints manager failed to state whether this offwer was, or was not still applicable to current registrations 

JohnM
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hey @pwalk 

This isn't ideal!

I have sent you over a PM with a direct link to one of our colleagues who can look into this further.

To view your private messages on the community, click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

John M

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Pleske
Regular

Hi @JonathanB , @JohnM 

I have the same issue and I'm sure other users do too. Please can you keep this post updated with any outcomes from your investigations?

Anonymous
Not applicable

A customer service agent is investigating the issue and will update me via email. I'll report back for you and others affected.

bronxboy
Regular

Hi @Anonymous  - any updates??

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @bronxboy,

If a user shows as anonymous then they've chosen to delete their community account unfortunately. I'm chasing updates though and will update the thread as soon as I have anything significant to share.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @Pleske,

Of course, we will do as soon as we have more to share. Sorry that this is taking some time to get back to you all.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Chubbysocks
Fledgling

I was getting free 200MB a month until today. I couldn't access my account so was promoted to re-register, so I did today. I've just been charged £1.97 for watch a 2 min youtube video.