cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used to have the free 200M data sim but it stopped without notification?

pwalk
Active

For the last couple of years, I've had an active free 200MB monthly data sim.
Recently after the online account and app has been updated, I couldn't see my allowance or refresh date. The SIM continued working fine (data and incoming calls as well).

I chatted to support and the agent appeared a bit clueless and claiming this has stopped. I didn't see how this could have been stopped since it was working fine and I haven't heard anything about it from Three. When I confirmed that I can still use data on it (while roaming as well, as it used to), the agent's reply was basically "that's great".

After coming off the chat, it has suddenly stopped.
Now, I understand that the service might have stopped and it was a free service, but to cut it off just like that, without notification and after chatting to support who didn't appear to know abut it, is strange to say the least. For all purposes, this was a normal working SIM from Three, albeit for data only. I'm sure something's wrong here?

199 REPLIES 199
ChrisAO
Active

That's a very interesting point. Thanks for mentioning it.

pwalk
Active

I suggest we report Three to trading standards and Ofcom.

This is also something you may want to mention in an Ombudsman case.

Anybody up for doing that?

Monstromart
Regular

I have already done it!

I do not expect much out of it but if they see lots of reports on the same issue, they may open an investigation.

pwalk
Active

Thanks! Did you report to Trading Standards too (via the Citizen's Advice form, I think)?

ScotBoy
Fledgling

The ombudsman forced my to accept a £30 good will payment - they said I could either accept it or get nothing as they would simply close the case. Not great.

pwalk
Active

I just had an email from Three with a survey on how I use my data sim. I know this wouldn't have much of an effect on this case, but I though this could be an opportunity to indicate what I feel about their discontinuing the free data sim. But after a few questions about my age, gender and employment, I gave up and decided this is not worth wasting my time on.

Has anyone had any update from Three, or from Ombudsman, Ofcom, etc..?

SparklySilver
Fledgling

I was told a month or two ago that Three were going to fix these SIMs. Obviously they still haven’t. And they still haven’t given notice of ceasing the SIM plan either. 

Monstromart
Regular

and the tariff is still on their brand new MBB price guide.

shawny
Regular

yes, I was awarded £75 for the loss of the 'free data for life' - Ombudsman suggested £50 payout, but free had decided a £75 payout, of which I accepted.  I then received a further £75 payout, but three said that was an error, so didn't receive it, But I chased it up, and Three has now eventually decide to pay that - "That was because I was told when I lost the free data for life, I was still able to use the 3p,2p, and 1p tariff, (but I was being charged 35p,15p, 10p) - just received email today asking for bank details for the £75 to be paid into my bank account.