cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used to have the free 200M data sim but it stopped without notification?

pwalk
Active

For the last couple of years, I've had an active free 200MB monthly data sim.
Recently after the online account and app has been updated, I couldn't see my allowance or refresh date. The SIM continued working fine (data and incoming calls as well).

I chatted to support and the agent appeared a bit clueless and claiming this has stopped. I didn't see how this could have been stopped since it was working fine and I haven't heard anything about it from Three. When I confirmed that I can still use data on it (while roaming as well, as it used to), the agent's reply was basically "that's great".

After coming off the chat, it has suddenly stopped.
Now, I understand that the service might have stopped and it was a free service, but to cut it off just like that, without notification and after chatting to support who didn't appear to know abut it, is strange to say the least. For all purposes, this was a normal working SIM from Three, albeit for data only. I'm sure something's wrong here?

199 REPLIES 199
pwalk
Active

Thanks @shawny . I guess for those of us who haven't been paying for data, just using the promised free 200M, there is no hope of resolution, other than ideally Three bringing it back (for everyone). I don't have much hope. It's been nearly a year since I started this thread. But glad people got some compensation at least.

giammy
Fledgling

Still saying that they are working on the issue to try and find a resolution. They offer to apply a credit and add 3GB Data Pack valid for 3 months. After three months, to please contact them and they can explore more options to resolve the issue. 

Would be better to get some compensation via the Ombudsman instead?

ScotBoy
Fledgling

I would take their offer. The ombudsman was/is useless. 

DwvidIT
Fledgling

I kept reminding them every time they contacted me that they had not informed me of their intention to change the terms and conditions.

They ignored that.

1. Once they told me that it just 'is not available'

2. Once they told me they were working to fix the issue.

3. Once they told me (after response no. 2) that the offer was no longer available.

4. They made an offer of £10 credit applied to my account.

When I asked if this credit expired after a certain period, they replied with an email that made no sense.

To be honest, I gave up and just took their £10 credit.

I was looking for an alternative data SIM where the credit purchased did not expire after a few weeks/months.

The best I could find was one from Three 🫣, since the 200mb / month generally was enough for the data traffic my car satnav used, I reckoned that a couple of Gb would see me through the year. But all of those plans that mentioned this amount of data (usually Only 1Gb) expired after one month.

A £40 credit lasted for 12 months, but would way more than I needed

slimgym
Regular

There is a gap for small data like this and occasional paid use. RWG have £45 for a years access 5Gb a month, unlimited calls and texts, or £2 a month for 750MB.

You can still get classic O2 SIMs with 1p a meg of data that may or may need regular top-ups to keep active (or may just need usage - the jury is still out).

ScotBoy
Fledgling

RWG do a number of low-data sims. Their best value is a 5 year sim with 100mb a month for £15.99 one-off payment. https://www.rwgmobile.wales/webshop/buy-forget/5-year-sim-data-only-100mb-per-month/

They do 1 year ones and 2 year ones also. Check out their buy and forget area https://www.rwgmobile.wales/webshop/buy-forget/

slimgym
Regular

Thank you - some of the tariffs seem well hidden, I didn't see any of these offers but have the 5Gb one in my iPad, cost me £40 but it's £45 now. Some report they are not very good for support if you get stuck I've not had to trouble them and the SIM has been as expected though it has no EU roaming on it, you can't have it all but they have a lot of useful tariffs for use that doesn't fit in to the mainstream offerings.

pwalk
Active

You might want to check this offer from RWG Mobile.

pwalk
Active

RWG also have 1 year data sim for £16.99.

DwvidIT
Fledgling

Yup. They've withdrawn that SIM option of 200Mb free per month. They didn't tell anybody who had that SIM contact with them. They just decided to kill it off. The helpdesk agents are clueless about what's happened and why. Sometimes they will tell users 'its not available', sometimes they will tell you 'there's a fault, we're looking into it'. Basically, they have stopped it, not told users, and either told their help desk people to play dumb (or they really are dumb and don't know what's happened).

Either way, its a really crappy way to handle withdrawal of an offer that they have decided they don't want to do any more.

Really poor customer communication. They really need to just own up, and tell people they don't do it any more, and have completely screwed up informing their users of that fact, and just hoping they won't notice and choose a paid option instead.

Pathetic handling by Three.