cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used to have the free 200M data sim but it stopped without notification?

pwalk
Active

For the last couple of years, I've had an active free 200MB monthly data sim.
Recently after the online account and app has been updated, I couldn't see my allowance or refresh date. The SIM continued working fine (data and incoming calls as well).

I chatted to support and the agent appeared a bit clueless and claiming this has stopped. I didn't see how this could have been stopped since it was working fine and I haven't heard anything about it from Three. When I confirmed that I can still use data on it (while roaming as well, as it used to), the agent's reply was basically "that's great".

After coming off the chat, it has suddenly stopped.
Now, I understand that the service might have stopped and it was a free service, but to cut it off just like that, without notification and after chatting to support who didn't appear to know abut it, is strange to say the least. For all purposes, this was a normal working SIM from Three, albeit for data only. I'm sure something's wrong here?

157 REPLIES 157
albobski
Regular

I had a hassle free experience from the Ombudsman - They intervened and instead of a miserable £5.00 Three offered me £50.00 (which I accepted..)

ChrisAO
Active

I'm so glad.

However, you've completely missed the point! Never mind.

NotMeAgain
Fledgling

I've been continuously using one of these 200Mb sims since January 2021. They changed the T&C a while ago where you had to make a chargeable call or text every 6 months to keep it going. Despite keeping with this they recently stopped the monthly allowance without any email or text. A customer service rep was unable to register any email address to my phone number but they was able to add £10 credit from my debit card.
If I call 444 it won't tell me how much credit I have, instead it tries to connect me with customer services. 
After reading all the previous posts I think this is a very strange and unprofessional way to treat long term customers.

ChrisAO
Active

When they changed the system in November, 444 doesn't give the Balance any more, most irritating! 

Did you try using the App to register an email address? Using the App is actually really convenient as you can access everything.  I had the same email address for my MBB SIM and a normal PAYG SIM and had to ring them to register one (I chose the MBB) with a new email address, which was done without a problem.

If you've not had any compensation/gesture of goodwill, ring 500 (office hours) and ask to speak to a Complaints Manager and go through all the issues as mentioned in previous posts.

Craiggor
Regular

Just been doing a search for what Three charges for things like calls,texts and data without buying a data pack, and how much data packs cost. After losing the free 200mb and the 3 web site still saying existing customers can still get it, I don’t know what to believe when I’m searching their web site. How much is a text,1 min phone call or 200 mb of data ????? I can’t believe I thing they say.

ChrisAO
Active

Back on page 10, in my post I provided  a link to the Current Price Guide. Three seem to mess about with url's to some pages, here's the Price Guide page https://www.three.co.uk/terms-conditions/price-guides/latest-price-guides

Here's the link I posted which still seems to work if you copy and paste the url into a browser -

https://www.three.co.uk/content/dam/threedigital/terms-and-conditions/price-guides/latest-price-guid...

I did also comment that the Price Guide page was not very clear either, that's another point that can be used in any negotiation for compensation/gesture of good will.

and here is a link to the post

https://community.three.co.uk/t5/Network/Used-to-have-the-free-200M-data-sim-but-it-stopped-without-...

If you register your SIM/Account, the App will give you the information about Packs and Add-ons. There are no Calls & Texts included in the MBB Packs or Add-ons.

UKZiggy
Active

Well that is the other thing they took away without warning, we were on the 123 plan but now it's standard rates I believe.

Calls 35p per minute
Texts 15p per text
Data 10p per MB

For my usage as I don't use the sim for anything but data is the 24GB data pack that lasts 24months three charge £60 for the bundle but it's £34.99 in Argos but that means a new number.

shawny
Regular

Three email from Wed stated 

Dear Shaun

Thank you for contacting Three.

I understand you're not happy as we have stopped offering 200MB free data on Mobile Broadband pay as you go sim cards.

Shaun, it was a business decision that from  From 23 May 2022 we removed the 200MB free offer,

Our customers can now use data at the cost of 1p per MB, and if our customers are using calls and text functionality, then they will be charged 2p per text and 3p per min for calls.

I am not being charged as stated, thus raised complaint and escaped to ombudsman

I am being charged 10p for data,  ..35p for calls,   

UKZiggy
Active

Yes they quoted you the old rates, and where did they dream up May 2022, unless that is when they stopped it for new customers and promised existing customers would get it for life, honestly they haven't got a clue.
I can't believe they put all that nonsense in writing 😲

shawny
Regular

So based on this email, I asked for a refund in difference of prices that I have been charged,  and Three won't refund, thus deadlock letter requested...