Our new roaming giveaway is live find out more here!
Give us your feedback about how easy you've found getting ready to roam on the above linked article, and you'll be in with the chance to win one of 10, 7 day Go Roam passes to use in Europe and Around the World destinations. Prize draw open till 01 May 2024
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi on London Underground asking for password

JB648
Regular

Hi

For years I’ve had no problems using the THREE_WIFI on TFL services. I recently removed an eSIM (but left my 3 physical SIM settings unchanged), and since then I’ve been unable to connect. When I try to join the network I get asked for a username and password. 

I've tried resetting my network settings, turning my phone on and off, and downloading the latest iOS software. Nothing has fixed the issue. I’m using an iPhone 13 Pro, with iOS 17.3.1. 

I tried phoning 3 and wasted half an hour with the customer service people giving me advice for Android phones that didn’t work for my iPhone. 

How can I connect to the WiFi again?

My network settings are:

IMG_7788.png

IMG_7789.png

Thanks

John

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi John,

Last time I saw an issue like this, resetting the network settings sorted it. Just to check we're on the same page with this, did you reset the APN settings as on the screenshot, or did you do this:

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Let me know if this helps!

Thanks,
Jonathan

We'd like to hear your feedback! Let us know how easy you find it to get ready to Roam, and be in with a chance to win 7 days of free Roaming Passes – find out more here!

View solution in conversation

11 REPLIES 11
Paddiewack
Superstar

It’s obvious that as the only thing that’s changed is the SIM card and assuming you’ve got the same number then it’s seems the thing to do is re’register with another username and password on TFL.

JB648
Regular

Thanks. I don’t follow this though sorry - the WiFi is meant to connect automatically. I didn’t sign up with TFL originally so not sure I should do so now. If I do need to, could you share the link to the webpage?

Paddiewack
Superstar

Just reading the TFL website and  you’re correct and I was incorrect in what I said. It still remains the fact that it’s clearly a sim issue so with a heavy heart 🙄I can only direct you back to customer service because from what I’ve seen on TFL (should have checked it before I commented) and also checking the Three page on TFL there’s no reason from your end to prevent you connecting. Not the answer you wanted I’m sure.🤷‍♂️

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Totally see where you were coming from @Paddiewack, the Underground Wi-Fi service used to operate on a system where you signed in to My3. We moved to a new system where you can just connect to Three_WIFI whenever you're in a station.

Edit: Just to clarify, normally this works without any prompt for a password!

We'd like to hear your feedback! Let us know how easy you find it to get ready to Roam, and be in with a chance to win 7 days of free Roaming Passes – find out more here!

Paddiewack
Superstar

Thanks but it’s my fault. I should never assume when the info on both TFL and Three’s website’s contradict what I wrote. Your advice is eminently more sensible.

Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi John,

Last time I saw an issue like this, resetting the network settings sorted it. Just to check we're on the same page with this, did you reset the APN settings as on the screenshot, or did you do this:

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Let me know if this helps!

Thanks,
Jonathan

Hi,

Is the only way to use your wifi without having to put in a username and password and connect automatically to wipe my phone? 

I had access for years. You were able to just sort a username and password from your app. Now I’m told it should automatically connect? When I click on three WiFi when underground, it still asks for username and PW. Is it not possible to just get given a new one? 

I went round and round with customer services on chat and phone. One person actually said you don’t have wifi on the underground. It was very frustrating. Another said I had to be in the underground when I got in touch again, which I did, and wasted 45mins on chat. 
I’ve been charged for data roaming I didn’t use this month, lost wifi on the TfL and often have terrible signal. It is literally the three plus app that has kept me here so long.

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello.

The type of authentication used by the newer Wi-fi network doesn't use a username or password, and the phone shouldn't be asking for this information.

I'm unsure wiping the while phone is required. A simple Network Settings Reset should be enough as this completely erases all the network settings and cached network information, ensuring there's no previous data on the phone that could conflict with the set up. 

Pete.

JB648
Regular

Thanks JonathanB, I hadn’t done that version of network reset. So I will try this and let you know if it works!