cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0.0009mb roaming charges when Roaming switched off

KevinL
Active

While abroad for 2 weeks I received 3 random days worth of Roaming Service Charges (£5.83 a day). My bill shows these were each for 0.0009mb of data, but I was using a Truphone eSIM for the country I was in and had my Data Roaming switched off the whole time. I tried ringing Three customer services but just went around in a circle and was unable to speak to anyone so in desperation I opened an online chat through the website. The agent that I chatted with was unable to help at all and said he would escalate this issue to the next level but within a couple of hours the support call was closed and I had a text message saying ‘we’ve recalculated your bill and haven’t found any errors’ which to my mind is ridiculous and very poor customer service.

I’ve researched this issue of a 0.0009mb data being charged as a roaming service and it seems that there is a known issue with the way that the network tries to establish a connection even when data roaming is switched off and therefore sometimes manages to register as a data roaming charge but I can’t get anyone to do anything about it.  My contract has expired and is now on a 1 month rolling basis so if this is the sort of service I can expect from Three, then I’m going to change to a new provider after being a loyal Three customer for more years than I can remember. I’ll also change the rest of my family away from Three as soon as their contracts expire this year.

16 REPLIES 16
KevinL
Active

Had a reply from Customer Services as follows:

“We take the security of our customers seriously and can only correspond with the registered account holder or authorised contacts.

In order to assist you, please ask the account holder to contact us directly to add you as an authorised contact to the account. Just to let you know, certain changes such as upgrading can only be done by the account holder.”

Not sure why they think I am not the account holder as the phone is registered in my name and I pay the monthly bills.  I have responded to this effect but so far my perception of Three Customer services is that they are absolutely useless!

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello.

Normally they would use the details within the complaint for to match up with what's on the account. It's possible there was an error on the form, or is it possible that the account holder is someone else, like a partner or other family member? 

Pete.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

KevinL
Active

Hi Pete,

Nope - I am absolutely the account holder, so all I can put it down to at this time is their incompetence.

TheSolent
Regular

The only solution is to request a pac code so they know you’re going to leave. Result: refunded.

I’ve written to watchdog at bbc co uk If more of us do this, they’ll pick it up. Three are just not taking this seriously.

KevinL
Active

Thanks - an excellent suggestion and I have now sent this in to BBC Watchdog and likened it to the Post Office Horizon scandal where the Customers are being told it’s their fault, and nobody else is affected.

KevinL
Active

Full amount of roaming charges now credited back to my account after I refused the £10 good will gesture and threatened them with going to the Ofcom Alternative Dispute Resolution service. Shame we have to go to such lengths to get Three to sort out a problem which is a direct result of their own Systems inadequacies.

KevinL
Active

Could you drop watchdog another note please as I think they may have misplaced your original email?

Anyone else reading this should also send an email to watchdog@bbc.co.uk, as I have a feeling they may be interested. 😉