cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 rep asked for all my card info on new contract?

SuperNerdSteve
Fledgling

I sorted out a new contract recently because my old one was 2 years out of date

The rep I spoke to non-chalantly asked for the numbers on the front of my card and the sec. numbers on the back as well as the expiry date because "3 updated their IT systems recently"

Is that legit? I thought 3 never asks for info like that?

3 REPLIES 3
sc1999
Local celebrity

Did you call 3 or did they call you? If they called you what was the number? If it did not begin 03 then it was not 3. If in doubt call 333 and ask if you have taken out a new contract or an upgrade and was it through 3 or one of their resellers. If you think you have been had call your bank, explain the situation and ask them to hold payments to 3 until you are happy. If you bought through a reseller you will probably have a new contract and not an upgrade so you get a new number. If it is a new contract you have a cooling off period so you can cancel.

SuperNerdSteve
Fledgling

I called them to renew my contract as it had expired by 2 years - it was all legit and he sent me a contract, did a credit check, I e-signed it and right at the very end, as the last step, he asked for my security number, 14 digit number on the front and expiration date - said that 3 migrated their IT systems. My new phone comes tomorrow and the contract starts so i think its all legit, i was just very unsure about the last step and he started to get impatient when I queried it lol

sc1999
Local celebrity

That's good news. One thing to be aware of, 3 puts a free PAYG sim card in with most new phones and this can cause confusion. Assuming that you are keeping your old number, just put your old sim into the new phone.