cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Go Roam Scam

lb19
Fledgling

I got three for +5 years, chose it specifically for the roaming advantages. My latest contract renewal was on June 2021 and when I did so I was told the Go Roam conditions were as per usual, I have an unlimited contract = 12GB in data abroad.
In preparation to a trip to the US, I checked the website and found all changed
except for people with contracts before Oct 2021 so I relaxed.

Upon arrival to the US yesterday, i got a message that I have already consumed 80% of my allowance (in the UK I’m 90% of the time in wifi)… 1 hour later, another message that I have already reached the limit ( so in 1 hour checking my email and WhatsApp I spent 2.4GB according to three) and an hour later I got more messages with charges that added up together were £45! JUST ORDERING AND UBER AND CHECKING THE ROUTE IN THE MAP!!! 
I tried calling three but was already late and closed, so decided to get the “data passport” only to find out that time is count up to midnight in the UK… so wasted £5 for 1 hour of data, when this should be 24 hours from when you start the service (which will 
make more sense considering any time zone)

Online chat is disabled if you are in wifi, to activate the data passport you must be connected to the network and cannot be done as an add on… so basically any solution for the roaming “savings” requires a big spend, basically you have to connect to the highly price roaming data EVERYDAY to buy the data passport… so considering how they just count data would be £10 or more to pay £5 to connect. Even more of a scam if you are supposed to have this included in your plan, as it is my case!!! 

As you can imagine, I don’t even have to mention I won’t be renewing my contract but I will take this to Ofcom to report how you are dealing with customers. 
This is simply not right, your selling point fot MANY years was the roaming thing and suddenly you don’t only change but make it far more expensive and difficult than any of your competitors. 

1 REPLY 1
SuziM
Employee
Employee

Hey @lb19 - thanks so much for posting in the Community. We're honestly so sorry this has been the experience you've had of Go Roam in the US, and of course we don't want you to leave 💔

You're absolutely right that you get a limit of 12GB to use in the USA, so if you received a text telling you you'd actually used up some of your actual cash credit limit, this would tell me that it's possible you had unintentionally/unwittingly connected to a non-Go Roam network. This would happen if your phone remained on the setting to automatically select a network, and settings like your background app updates and push notifications were still switched on.

Could you tell me whereabouts in the US you were? We're really keen to get to the bottom of this.