cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having to pay 2 additional months due to misleading website

ryan_sumner
Fledgling

I have an unlimited data 1month contract that I purchased in October due to temporary internet issues at home. After using it for a few weeks I no longer needed it and so logged into my 3 account and selected the leave three without taking my number option.

A few days ago, I recieved a bill, today when I phoned to query it I was told that even though I selected "without taking my number" that fact that my PAC code was not activated after 30 days means my 3 account is still active and that I still need to give my 30 days notice.

This means I will have to pay for two additional bills that have had 0 usage. If the website had made it clear I had not left and had not provided the option of leaving without taking my number I would be more understanding. As it is, can anyone suggest any possible recourse I may have.

5 REPLIES 5
Fox
Regular

Stop your direct debit and request charge back from your bank.

ryan_sumner
Fledgling

Will this not lead to them compounding charges or debt collectors?

StephR
Employee
Employee

Hey @ryan_sumner, thanks for joining us here at Three Community. I'm sorry your account wasn't closed down as you expected, I can see how frustrating that would be. I'll do my best to help clear this up.

When leaving Three, you have a couple different options.

1. If you request a PAC or STAC code from Three, you can use that code when setting up your new contract with another provider:

A PAC will send a request to close your Three account and transfer your phone number to your new account.
A STAC will send the request to close your Three account, but won't transfer your phone number.

2. If you'd simply like to close down your Three account, without moving to another network, you'd just need to give us a call or pop onto a webchat so we can process that for you.

So it sounds like you've requested a STAC code, to transfer to a new provider without taking your number. As that code wasn't used, your account hasn't been cancelled down and has carried on as normal.

You can read more about these options on our support page online. Information about giving that code to your new provider is also included when choosing from the self-service options in My3 or the Three App. I'm really sorry you didn't find that clear though, and that's certainly something we'll keep in mind when reviewing our services and products.

I hope this helps clear things up a little, but please do let me know if you've any other questions.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query. 

ryan_sumner
Fledgling

Hi StephR,

Thanks for the reply. Could you explain what the "leave three without taking my number" option, under the leave three menu item, is for?

I can't see how this is not a dark pattern designed to trick users into paying unfairly.

And just to summmarise, after following that action and it not actually closing my account has meant another months bill, add to that you won't even consider that action as a show of notice that is another month I have to pay. So now I am forced to pay 2 months for 0 usage of the service, even though I followed all the apropriately labelled prompts on the three website.

StephR
Employee
Employee

Hey @ryan_sumner 

The self-service switching options, available via My3 and text, are designed to make it easier for customers to move between providers. So the option to ‘leave Three without taking my number’ will provide a code, which when given to a new provider will close your Three account.

Did you receive a text and email after choosing that option? Both of these should’ve stated the code itself, it’s expiry date and a prompt to give the code to your new provider before then.

I appreciate you don't have any use for the SIM now, so I've sent you a Private Message with steps on how we can get that closed down sooner for you. Click your avatar and then 'Messages' to check that out and please do let me know if you've any other questions.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.