cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam calls from people claiming to be 3

Hatshepsut
Fledgling

Keep getting calls from this number: 03333381017 - by people with "offers" for my 3 plan. They are very persistent and I have good reasons to think they're scammers but just wanted to be certain they're not some overzealous subcontractors working for 3. 

32 REPLIES 32
Ktails
Fledgling

Received a call tonight from "Three" stating trying to keep customers after poor customer feedback. Offered to cut my bill in half. Didn't trust it one but, but went along with it waiting to be asked for personal information. Got put through to senior manager to complete "deal"  when I asked why at no point had he or his colleague addressed me by name, he said he could give out names for security reasons (but they had already asked how much I paid last month to confirm I was account holder) then when I asked why the number I was being called from comes up as a Furniture supplier called Defrae in Croydon, 020 8504 5108,  got some random reason. He said he would be happy to call me back on the official Three number.  He then sent a 4 digit security code via text. I'm confused, is this an actual scam. Because if it's genuine, you need to upskill you customer service team to put a customers mind at ease than how the 2 I spoke to did.

KateS
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hey @Ktails,

Welcome to the Three community!

We can confirm this isn't a genuine Three caller. Our teams will only ever call from a number beginning with 0333.

We'd advise you to block this number and report this to us by texting the word 'CALL' followed by the number to 7726. This will report this for free, as a phishing attempt. More information on what to look out for when it comes to fraudulent activity can be found here.

Thanks for flagging to us. 
Kate

Three Community is celebrating our 2nd Birthday with a prize draw! join in here

Dean06280
Regular

Hi ktails. It is a scam. But to make it sound convincing. They actually use the security operations of three.

Example. I could have your mobile no. I ask you do u have the 3app. How often do u check it. 

I can put in my 3app. Ur mobile no. Tell you I'm sending u a txt with a 4 digit code.... which is the normal protocol when dealing with actual 3.  Once I've clicked send on my screen. It will send u the code. Because it is ur no. that is registered. I ask u to tell me the security code. I enter it. Now I have full control of ur account.

Change email. Change password. Change address. Order a few phones to my address. Look up the banking details on your account. Order a few things with ur card.

This is how it works.

What three should do is get rid of this OTP request on the log in page.

Remember all 3customer services should have access to ur account with or without needing to verify a code.