cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three app doesn't work, Three website doesn't work. What's going on?

br1anstorm
Regular

I have a Three number and account.  I use it on my Huawei AGS-L09 MediaPad, which runs on Android 7.0.  I had the My3 app installed.  The app announced that it was no longer operational and that I should instead install the new updated Three app.  I found it in the PlayStore, only to find that it said it was incompatible with my device.  So now it seems that I cannot use the Three account on my tablet. 

So.... on my main computer, I tried to login to my account on the three.co.uk website using my Firefox browser, in order to seek advice.  The login failed, with the Three website giving an error/"this service is unavailable" message.  The 'contact us' facility on the website was also unavailable.

So... as a last resort I have turned to the community.  I have, amazingly, been able to register in order to make this post.  But I need advice and guidance.  First, how can I revive, or continue to use, Three on my Huawei tablet?  And second, when will will the main three.co.uk website be functioning again so that I can login, check and manage my Three account?

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @br1anstorm,

I've had a check into this and unfortunately Android 7 is no longer supported. The main reason for this is the lack of security patches and support from Google. As the App directly accesses customer account and usage information, we had to decommission that version of the App to make sure we're keeping the service secure.

As you've mentioned My3 is still available from browsers on older devices though.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

6 REPLIES 6
sc1999
Local celebrity

Web does appear down so will have to wait for a fix. Google no longer supports android 7 with security updates so I expect there will be a point when mobile networks will withdraw support but I don't think 3 have. You could try to upgrade to a later version of android. 

br1anstorm
Regular

Thanks @sc1999 .  The Three website does appear to be erratic.  I did manage to login there some time after I'd posted into this forum, but then when I tried again later, it was down again.

My search elsewhere for clues and a solution has revealed a couple of things - neither of which are very encouraging.  It appears that my Huawei MediaPad T3, which runs Android 7.0, cannot be upgraded to Android 8.0 or any more recent version, so that's not a way forward.  And it seems that the latest or new version of the Three (or My3) app will only run on Android 8.0 or later.  Catch 22! 

It raises the obvious question:  why can't Three continue to operate the existing Three app for those whose devices are still running Android 7 (or indeed anything older)?  Or else make the new Three app "backwards compatible"?

It seems simply daft that just because one piece of software (the Three app) needs to be updated, I have to contemplate replacing my hardware device (ie getting a new tablet).  That's a bit like saying because the tyres on my car are worn, I have to buy a new car!   Totally disproportionate.

Three ought to do better than this.

sc1999
Local celebrity

You have to, partially, blame Google. As they have stopped giving security updates some time ago and this could leave your device vulnerable. I am not a cyber expert so I could not comment on whether using an old app and unsupported devices causes any issues for the network. The other question is how much extra work is involved in allowing outdated systems interface with current versions. 

kalross
Fledgling

The web site and app are generally terrible.  Worst I have the displeasure to have to try pay bills with.  Considering leaving Three due to how tedious the online services are.  They seem to be getting worse as well! 

br1anstorm
Regular

Looks as if there is no easy fix.  The Huawei tablet can't be updated to work on an OS more recent than Android 7.  Google has discontinued support and security updates for Android 7.  Three has scrapped the app that works with Android 7 and now provides an app that only works with Android 8 or upwards.  Not exactly joined-up thinking, planning or development. 

The only way to continue to "manage" my Three account on my tablet appears to be to access the three.co.uk website via the browser (Firefox or Chrome) on that tablet.  Not great, but better than nothing...

Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @br1anstorm,

I've had a check into this and unfortunately Android 7 is no longer supported. The main reason for this is the lack of security patches and support from Google. As the App directly accesses customer account and usage information, we had to decommission that version of the App to make sure we're keeping the service secure.

As you've mentioned My3 is still available from browsers on older devices though.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.