cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSim, poor service, frustrations

DisgruntledCust
Fledgling

I've recently purchased a Google Pixel 7 Pro after my old Oneplus device started having some issues.
I received the phone and inserted my physical sim into the phone (iD) and started using the phone immediately without issue. When it came to switch from my existing Sim Only contract to an eSim contract the problems started.
( Friday 21st April ) 4+ hours on Live Chat
Firstly I was advised that simply switching from a physical sim to an eSim wasn't an option and I'd need to start a new contract 😡
The new contract was 24 months, which I'd not wanted, the data was appalling, but it had unlimited calls and sms for half my original Sim Only contract. So the switch was made begrudgingly.
The second hurdle was the ability to use the phone as a phone.. I know too much to ask for right? Well so it seemed
I received the esim, installed it as directed, and was advised that it could take 7 hours to fully register, as it was late I went to bed.
( Saturday 22nd April ) 4+ hours again via Live Chat
I picked up the device and attempted to make a call.. I heard a recorded message advising to stay on the line and I'd be directed to the correct option. I confirmed being able to receive calls, connect to the internet via 4g
Rebooted the device
Still unable to make an outgoing call. without the recorded message being heard
Again initiated a chat and a number of hours later, having deleted the original eSim, rebooted, received a new eSIm and reinstalled, activated it and was still unable to make any calls. Yet again advised that it could take up to 7 hours or more. Guess I'll have to wait... again
 ( Sunday 23rd April ) 4+ hours again via Live Chat
Advised that the account was definitely set up correctly. I could still receive calls, and connect to the internet via 4g but still unable to make any calls, to family members on the same network landline, work national number etc etc
At this point I wondered if the issue was with the account setup as clearly, the eSim was operational but not correctly.
I logged back into the account and set a "Spend Cap" of £5 as I'd set up a £0 as with unlimited calls/sms I knew (I've been with Three for years ) that I didn't need to have a cap above £0 set. 
Imagine my surprise when as if by magic I could actually make calls 🙄 So I again contacted live chat, to advise them that I was only able to make calls if I set up a spend cap of above zero cost. Again I was fobbed off with the account looks absolutely fine to me etc etc. I will work once the PAC transfer has completed..Which was scheduled for 48 hours later.

(Tuesday 25th April)

Message received to advise that the porting had completed. Rebooted phone. 

Still SMS being sent as original temporary number, calls worked, however only when using spend cap. Three account was still showing OLD temporary number not the newly ported number.

(Tuesday 2nd May) 1hr + live chat
Unable to make calls again as I've reached the spend cap limit I'd set up, calling family members on same network so included in plan. 

Advised to delete the eSim yet again as account is 100% accurate etc.

Asked for PAC code as tired of wasting time. Now received an email  and SMS to ported number advising a couple of hundred pound cancellation charge ( Still within 14 day cooling off period ) no transcript of live chat received
Expecting to be unable to use phone Wednesday 3rd May.

It would be really great if someone could potentially help as I'm now unable to log into my account as it insists on sending an SMS to the temporary number I had prior to porting in my long term number ( 20+ years ) 

Absolutely disgusted with the lack of logic applied to resolve the issue, frustrated at being forced to take a new contract just because I needed an eSim for the new phone, which isn't mentioned anywhere on the Three.co.uk website. I've gone from being a very happy customer to a really annoyed excustomer all over a requirement for an eSim which should have been super easy ( according to the marketing spiel about how wonderful they are ) with no postage, plastic eco friendly blah blah blah.. Unless you wish to use them for making calls

Come on Three pull your thumbs out your backsides and provide the customers the service you claim to provide.

Lets see if I am actually responded to / my device is operational when I wake or do I need to switch providers, just a pity Smarty / iD currently do not support eSim ( despite being on the Three backhaul network )

Really disappointed and let down

4 REPLIES 4
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @DisgruntledCust,

It's really disappointing to hear you've been running into all these issues without a fix since switching your account. I'll do my best to help.

Most of the problems listed will require account access to resolve, so I'll send you a private message shortly to refer you over to an escalated complaints team, and they'll work with our service desk to identify and fix the issues with your My3, and with the spend cap/calling out problem.

In terms of the SMS issue since porting, this does crop up from time to time, and is usually connected to "chat" or "RCS" messaging. Messages on a lot of recent smartphones get sent over data, and this supports some more advanced features like group messages, indicators when the other user is typing etc...  but they often don't pick up when your number has been changed by a port.

If you open your messages inbox, and find messages settings, usually in the top right menu, check for an option to switch off RCS Chats, this should get you back onto normal SMS and should start sending as your correct number again. 

This should hopefully provide an immediate fix to the issues with messaging, and as I mentioned, I'll refer you to some colleagues that can take a closer look at what's happening with your account.

To view your private messages on the community, click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

Thanks,
JonathanB

Three Community is celebrating our 2nd Birthday with a prize draw! join in here

Don-don
Fledgling

Have Three managed to sort out the problems yet as I was thinking about transferring to new iphone using e-sim and I could do without the problems you have had!

markrich
Regular

Three's customer services team get very lost when they have to deviate from their flow chart of things to suggest.  They have little intuitive behaviour to help.  I have been a customer since they started in the UK.  They had for a short while useful people in Scotland to speak with but no more, just script-reading call centre staff who care little but fulfilling their team's call quota.

I have tried to avoid calling them over the years sadly.

wyohwy-200
Fledgling

So true, and I'm done with them, fobbing me off is one thing but blatantly lying is another