cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g plus slow and cutting out

Mikeyspike
Fledgling

For the past few weeks, my broadband with 4G plus has been really slow and cutting out.  It has never been good and I have never reached faster speeds than around 20mpbs but it is even worse lately.  I find I have to keep restarting my router and it cannot support multiple devices.  If we stream TV, it buffers intermittently never mind trying to work online with a PC at the same time.  I'd love to get rid of it but am stuck in a contract. 

4 REPLIES 4
ffxmadman
Fledgling

I signed up for three 4G broadband from march with the free 3 months promo they had. I contacted three and even called them up. The only reason they gave was my area was congested and has limited coverage. The only resolution they offered was free cancellation throughout my entire 24 months contract whenever I want. Hence, I probably gonna just use the free 3 months and see if I want to continue this or not. Funny how instead of fixing the network, they were quick to offer free cancellation. 

I tried so many other troubleshooting even changing locations of the router, restarting, putting my simcard into my iPhone. My iPhone 12 with 4G network on Vodafone network gives me 100mbps while on three network it barely reaches 10mbps. So it's not the device issue but more of network issue. 

It's really annoying as my landlord did not allow u to install fiberoptic cables in the property as it involves drilling and the flat management did not allow it. Phone line copper lines are available but they are not significantly better than what three is offering anyway.

sc1999
Local celebrity

Hi, first stop is the network status checker, Network Status Checker - check your signal and get support | Three . It does not tell you what is wrong or how long any problem will take to fix. The usual message is: "We're fixing an issue with our network in this area" and I have had this message for the last 2 months. If there is a problem try calling customer services as they may, don't hold your breath, be able to give you info on the problem.

Can you put the sim in a phone and test the speed. If the performance is the same then that rules out your home setup. If the phone is faster then check to see if the router has recently received a software update. Check the firmware version anyway and please post your router type and firmware version for our info.

Next step is to carry out speed checks at various times during the day and night, and early morning. If you are getting big swings in speeds and pings then the problem could be that the mast is oversubscribed, but more likely there is a problem with the network.

Hard wire a device to the router and check the speed to eliminate a wifi issue. Turn off all devices and reconnect one at a time to see if one device is the cause of you problem.

Sorry that there is no specific cure but it is a process of elimination.

bulldog555
Involved

I do hate this useless network status checker, Network Status Checker - check your signal and get support | Three . It does not tell you what is wrong or how long any problem will take to fix. The usual message is: "We're fixing an issue with our network in this area" and I have had this message for the last 3 months. Very annoying! Three doesn't care as long they taken our money!

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mikeyspike,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been running into these slow speeds, and that they've been particularly bad in the last few weeks. It sounds like even if there's some sort of network issue right now, that the overall coverage or capacity in your area isn't strong to start with.

I'll send you a private message to refer you onto some colleagues that can assess this further, and check if we have any further options to help you.

To view your private messages on the community click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

JonathanB

Three Community is celebrating our 2nd Birthday with a prize draw! join in here