cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G ZTE MC801A router dropping connection 4-5 times a day

GIWEBB
Regular

I got this 5G router back at the end of November 2022 on a 1 month rolling contract and from day one it drops the connection 4-5 times a day when i'm working, on all devices, and I have to browse to the router web page, disconnect and then reconnect to get it going again.  With working from home this is a constant nuisance as you can be mid-call with someone.  Reported the issue in December and was told to reset router, made no difference, left it as I was off work over Christmas and it was no big deal, I could reset it from my phone when netflix went down on the TV.  Rang support again there today and they said it sounds like a faulty router, but since I am on a rolling contract they can't send me a new one, is this correct, seems bizarre?  Also, any support pages here don;t list this router, all huawai routers.

28 REPLIES 28
crypt0ninja
Established

Pretty sure there's an issue being investigated atm that sounds very similar to this if you are on the current B12 firmware? (I don't personally use the MC801A I have the NR5103E)

Maybe @JonathanB can confirm as I know he was requesting info from some users to help investigate a problem users started to experience after the B12 update.

Regarding what you were told about not being able to replace your router due to being on a rolling contract that's not true at all. The hardware is owned and covered by Three regardless of the rolling, 12 month or 24 month contracts.

If you do wish to seek a replacement for peace of mind then I would advise to call up and escalate the issue as you should be offered a replacement if Three have told you it sounds like a faulty router.

Hopefully the mods can assist you.

Dazzar
Established

@JonathanB @Having the same problem is there any update yet on what is happening g same 801a router 

GIWEBB
Regular

They have told me i need to cancel this contract, persevere with the crappy router for 30 days then start a new one and order the NR router, why they couldn;t just send me the NR router, they said it's all because of this one month rolling contract.

crypt0ninja
Established

What firmware version is your MC801A currently running?

GIWEBB
Regular

one ending in 0B12

Gagandeep
Active

Another user with a B12 firmware problem. Welcome to the club. This issue appears to be experienced by quite a few people (https://community.three.co.uk/t5/Broadband/5G-Broadband-dropouts/td-p/6687/page/8)

Posting here to see if you get any useful advice/highlight the problem to mods.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @GIWEBB,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue.

We definitely can arrange hardware exchanges for 5G broadband customers on rolling contracts. As mentioned by @crypt0ninja and @Gagandeep we're looking into an issue which may be with the firmware rather than hardware though.

Everything you're describing seems to match so I think it's almost certainly the same issue: 5G Broadband dropouts 

We're still investigating what specifically is causing this to happen for some customers and not others, but I'll update the community as soon as we have any news or further advice.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

GIWEBB
Regular

Disappointed that I was told otherwise on the helpline and they made me cancel my current contract and have told me to start a new contract closer to the end of the 30 days notice and order the different router, stuck with this issue for another month.

crypt0ninja
Established

Yeah I agree that frontline call centre staff are not very clued up on these technical issues from what I've experienced and heard from others.

Its been a much better experience getting issues resolved on this forum.

Hopefully the mods here can provide some internal feedback to try and improve the misinformation coming from the frontline call centre staff (which seems to happen more often than not) when it comes to these technical broadband issues.