cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g hub ZTE mc888 won’t allow WiFi calling

Rural
Regular

We have recently switched to Three. We switched from the standard broadband to the 5g hub because we are very rural and our highest speed on the line was 5mb. With the hub we are getting the fastest broadband we’ve ever had. But here’s the problem: it won’t allow us to use WiFi calling. We rely on WiFi calling because signal in the house is awful (old house and very thick walls). WiFi calling worked for us before but won’t with this hub. Can anyone help us with this?

42 REPLIES 42
Rural
Regular

Yes it was definitely over WiFi. I had put on airplane mode and toggled the WiFi on. 

Rural
Regular

Any luck on finding a solution yet? It seems that Samsung phones will work on WiFi calling but iPhone’s and Motorola Ravr don’t. I’m not sure about other phones. 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Rural,

The issue is still under investigation, but I've asked my colleagues if there's any updates. I'll update the thread as soon as we have any more info or suggestions.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Hagadol
Regular

Can we all test this: Take the Three sim out of this Hub and see if we get WiFi Calling with this sim placed in another 5G device (5G hub or 5G phone)

SimonH
Fledgling

I have been experiencing the same problem and the following workaround has worked for me:
choosing from the menu Network Setting / Broadband
going to the Cellular Band tab and choosing "4G" as the Preferred access Technology then clicking "Apply"
This has reduced my broadband speed from 100 to 70 MBps but Wifi calling now works on the three EE phones that we have.
If this works (or does not work) for you then post a reply and let us all know

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks @SimonH, I've passed this feedback onto the team.

Hopefully some customers with the ZTE router can confirm if this works for them too. This will hopefully help confirm if it's the same issue across both routers.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Rural
Regular

I don’t seem to have an option to do this when I log into the router. 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

All of our 5G routers use a combination of 4G and 5G technology, so I'd be surprised if there's absolutely no option, although the terminology can vary a bit, as it's the manufacturer rather than Three who set up the admin consoles.

It could be cellular band, network mode selection, or something along those lines. I'll check if there's any more info available for that router, and let you know.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Rural
Regular

The connection mode is set to automatic and I’m unable to change this. 

Rural
Regular

They did tell us in the shop that it wasn’t possible to stop the 5g and just use the 4g. Also, Why should we decrease our speeds and just use 4g when this is a technical issue with 3 that needs to be addressed? It is bizarre that WiFi calling will work on some phones using the router and not others.