cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Three supply an external antenna for my Sercomm LTE2122GR router?

Elddisvogue
Regular

I tried looking for details and specification for the Sercomm LTE2122GR home router. I used the link provided on the help screen for the Sercomm website, it is in the USA, and does not list my router anywhere. I have a problem receiving a good 4g signal, the only solution is if I put it in my loft, hanging from a roof truss, with a power cable running through the loft access door, this isn't satisfactory, but it does show that I need an external antenna to provide me with the service promised by Three at the agreeing to accept contract stage, either that, or a router that is better than the Sercomm I have now. Does anyone else have this problem, and is there any real help from Three for this kind of thing? I'm in my second month of a 24 month LTE (4G) contract, and it's driving me crackers!

8 REPLIES 8
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Elddisvogue,

Welcome to the Three Community.

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling to get a stable signal on your router. Has this been the case since you received it 2 months ago, or did this change more recently? It may be worth checking our network status checker, in case there's any faults or engineering work affecting the coverage at the moment.

We don't supply or test external antennas so we can't guarantee or recommend these for use, but I'm aware of other community users mentioning that they make use of them. 

I'd also test the router SIM in an unlocked/Three phone just to check and make sure the coverage is the issue, and not a fault with the router. 

Let us know how you get on with the above suggestions, if we know whether there is a network faults showing, or the SIM test seems to indicate a router fault, or that the coverage is consistently weak, we'll be able to point you towards more help with this.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Elddisvogue
Regular

Hello JonathanB, thank you for your reply. I have tested the sim, and I have also used a signal strength app. it's definitely the signal strength that is poor here. I took the home router away in our touring caravan, and it worked fine. My problem is that the only place to get a reliable signal, is with the router in the loft, which as I have said, isn't satisfactory, and it also reduces the wifi signal, some of my smart devices are difficult to connect. I do have a TP wifi extender, but this router is not compatible because it does not support MESH, so the extender isn't really any help. Having carried out further research, my best option would be on the EE network, but then I have a 24 month contract for a service from Three that just is not what I expected, nor is it what Three predicted when I first applied for the service. I am now of the opinion that due to this, would Three release me from the contract without any exit fee, so that I could find an alternative service provider with a better signal in my area?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Elddisvogue,

Thanks for getting back to me. As it seems to be the coverage at home, I'll send you a PM with info on how we can get this investigated in more detail. 

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Elddisvogue
Regular

Hello @JonathanB  

Thank you for your help, and I await your PM.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Elddisvogue,

No worries, I sent it shortly after the reply on Monday. If you click on your avatar in the top right of any community page, you'll see an option for "Messages".

Thanks,
JonathanB

Ozmeister
Fledgling

Hi I am in a fringe signal location but due to poor landline speeds I opted for a 4G option with three and installed an external antenna I opted for a Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0002 that has given me good result's.

Cswaldo79
Fledgling

Hi there,

Do you need to go into the router settings and change to external antenna from internal antenna?  Thanks Craig

NB_Gulliver
Fledgling

Hi Craig

Did you ever receive a reply to your enquiry regarding the switch for activating the external antenna sockets?  I've been wrestling with this for hours with no luck.

John