cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS fails after 30 hours & daily scheduled restart stopped working

Tigger
Fledgling

Hi, I became a new customer around the end of June 2024. I have Three Home Broadband with the supplied Three ZTE MC888 Router / Hub.

Since around 4 days after day one (back in late June), the DNS has stopped working and the Hub requires a restart to restore normal service. This was happening every 4 to 5 days afterwards too, so as a workaround, I set the restart scheduling to restart every 1 day at 0200 hours.

This was fine until about a month ago when I notice the Hub had done an automatic software / firmware update. Now software V1..0.0B09, firmware V1.0.0. Since this update, it’s got worse and no longer restarts everyday and the DNS stops working after around 30 hours. So a manual restart is now required daily.

If I manually set the DNS on my devices (e.g. 1.1.1.1 & 8.8.8.8) I can get Internet for a few more hours without a restart, however, within a few hours it slowdown substantially until it comes to a grinding halt with network errors. So this workaround doesn’t last long until a manual Hub restart is required again.

I read somewhere on this forum, setting the APN to ipv4 only (from ipv4 & ipv6) may help, however, I’ve tried this and it made no difference.

5 REPLIES 5
Tigger
Fledgling

Please can a Team Member reply quickly to this before I cancel my 30 day rolling contract. I've just spoken to customer support and they asked me to do a factory reset and monitor it. I told them I've did a factory reset yesterday (and many times before) so it will still be failing tomorrow. 

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello Tigger. 

Oh, that sounds like a frustrating issue to be having. It's not clear what would be causing that based on the fact the issue goes away and comes back after each solution. 

It might be worth checking in with the Home Broadband Support team to see if they have ay solutions for the problem, or to see if they are aware of what is causing the issue. Hopefully there will be a work around that restores reliability to your connection. 

Pete. 

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Tigger
Fledgling

Hello Pete, there has not been any one single solution that I have not already tried, and told them so.

Pete, can you send this to the correct team? Is that team one, two three or four?

Mark

Tigger
Fledgling

@PeteG You have done your best in your reply and I thank you. You seem like a good guy. Please could you ask your Line Manager to reply to this now?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Mark.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing these issues for so long now. If you can help us understand the issue a bit better, we'll do our best to help or point you in the direction of more support.

• How are you encountering these DNS errors, is this an error showing in browser? It sounds like you're describing issues with multiple devices, are you able to share the error message(s) you're seeing, and give us a little insight on what devices, apps, and browsers these are happening with?
  • Have you been able to test if the issue happens with both wired and Wi-Fi connected devices?
  • When you've tried factory resetting the router, has this had any impact on how often the errors occur?
  • Are we showing we're aware of any issues on our Network Status Checker in your area?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.