cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zyxel NR5103E

MaHeRoV
Regular

My internet connection drops every two hours or so and does not reconnect back until I manually reboot my 5G Hub (I have the Zyxel NR5103E Broadband device). This is quite frustrating as the device is working well and the signals are always strong even when the connection drops. I have had called THREE plenty of times over the past few hours but I am now almost fed up and currently thinking of cancelling my contract and shipping the hub back to them. It's only been two days since I ordered the device but this issue is already getting on my nerves.

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MaHeRoV,

Thanks for trying these suggestions out. Now that you mention this issue of not being able to connect to 5G, it may be indicative of a faulty router.

I'll send you a private message to get you in touch with some colleagues that can check this out.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

18 REPLIES 18
MaHeRoV
Regular

@JonathanB has this been an ongoing issue with Zyxel routers?

MaHeRoV
Regular

UPDATE: So after endless calls to THREE technical support and finally reaching through to the Social media Team, it was suggested that this could be a router issue. I received a replacement device 6 days ago and as soon as I unboxed it, I realised that the one I had was not only faulty, but was actually physically damaged from the inside (I could here things shaking in there).

Anyway, the replacement router turned out to be the solution to my problem, and I haven't had a single dropout since then. However, one issue I have had with the new device is that the icon lights are messed up. I tried the device in different places at home, and when I get an excellent 5G signal (all bars are lit in green on the router's webpage/excellent coverage on the 5G Broadband app), the signal strength light on the device turns red. But when I get a weaker signal (one or two bars lit in green on the router's webpage/fair coverage on the 5G Broadband app), the signal strength light on the device turns blue. In either case, the connection is stable and no dropouts happen. It doesn't seem like the download/upload speed changes when the signal gets stronger or weaker. I was wondering if there is something I can do to make the best use of my 5G at home.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MaHeRoV,

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been experiencing all these drop outs. I've seen a couple of users describe drop outs like this on the NR5103E, but I don't recall anyone describing it as this frequent of an issue, I can appreciate that dropping connection every 2 hours will be extremely disruptive.

The issue may potentially be linked to fluctuations in signal, as @crypt0ninja was able to replicate an issue like this by effectively forcing the router to switch it's connection between two different masts. So you may be on the edge of signals broadcasting from 2 or more masts.

I'd recommend experimenting with band locking to see if this helps.

Menu Icon (Top Right) > Network Setting > Broadband > Cellular Band Tab

You should be able to change the band management to manual, then if you experiment with using N78 (required for 5G) and combinations of one or more "B" bands.

There's a few threads discussing this but Bands best to have may help as a few users have listed some combinations that have worked for them. The best bands to use will vary depending on the masts in your area, but hopefully by experimenting with these settings you'll find a good connection which doesn't drop.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

MaHeRoV
Regular

I tried different combinations of one or more "B" bands but nothing worked unfortunately. I also realised that, on the router's webpage, I have always had no signal for 5G and that it was just the LTE signal that is green in color. This is just weird as the Broadband sim works perfectly on a mobile device that supports 5G. I don't understand much about masts and cellular tower locations or how to locate the ones nearest to me as I am not tech-savvy. The call centre and webchat people have got no clue whatsoever and I'm that close to giving up and cancelling my contract 😞

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

I would be frustrated and annoyed if the Three check coverage for my postcode said 5G was available and offered a 5G router but only to find the router can't connect at 5G. It could be a case of not enough capacity as @sc1999 mentions here Cannot subscribe to 5G Home Broadband - Three Community - 12590 as to why a phone gets 5G but the router can't.

It's no consolation but you could try to limit the router to just 4G to see if the connection is more stable. Network Setting > Broadband > Cellular Band > Preferred Access Technology > 4G

4G would still be much faster than ADSL broadband.

If you can, provide the Cellular Info > Service Information info.

MaHeRoV
Regular

Cellular Info.png

Ok, the image is uploaded here. It may take a while until it gets posted

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Have you tried limiting the router to just 4G?

Have to tried just B3 and B20 only? These are the main two bands for 4G for Three. Band 32 can also be tried.

MaHeRoV
Regular

I haven't because I got the router for 5G coverage. If I wanted 4G only, I would have asked for the 4G Hub instead. Seems like a faulty router. I have asked for a replacement and hopefully no issues will arise when using the new device.

Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MaHeRoV,

Thanks for trying these suggestions out. Now that you mention this issue of not being able to connect to 5G, it may be indicative of a faulty router.

I'll send you a private message to get you in touch with some colleagues that can check this out.

Thanks,
Jonathan