Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help optimally setting up 5G router

superfast5gpls
Fledgling

IMG_4421.PNGIMG_4422.PNG

Hi,

I'm a little bit confused. On the 3 Home Broadband App it says that I have -90dBm coverage which relates to an 'Excellent' Signal. However the broadband seems quite poor compared to experiences of others, as well as my own Phone 5g speedtest from O2, which is meant to be far worse than 3 compared to speed apparently. I chose this contract as it was very cheap as well as boasting a minimum of 150mbps (which I am getting less than half of that). Also because the fixed line broadband that I was receiving was only around 30mbps and very poor (even compared to this). 

I'm just looking for tips and tricks for, helping wifi coverage around my home (such as recommending mesh wifi / installations of ethernet ports and access points (such as which is the best way if mesh wifi is unreasonable). As well as ways to help increase the signal speed from the cell tower

Here is my current setup:

- using the internal antenna from the router

- not connected any clients via ethernet as the router is positioned for best signal, not ease of use for connecting ethernet devices.

- uses the included wifi router, no external or wifi mesh (wifi signal is poor in some places)

I would prefer my solution to match the following:

- If I was to get an external antenna, it would have to be the right price to performance, as well as to be mounted inside the loft only. (I know where the cell tower is, so I could have a directional antenna if appropriate)

- If I was to purchase a mesh wifi, it would have to be at the right price to performance. In addition if I was to do any home wiring I would like it to all lead back to the loft where I would prefer the network setup to be kept

- Would prefer any solution to be perfect with little disruption.

In addition, all of the settings for the router are kept default. What would be the best settings to change, such as the band (and how could I find the best one). 

TIA,

superfast5gpls

12 REPLIES 12
Avondale
Rising star

There's no point at the moment in going down the mesh route. If your hub is not receiving and throwing out a decent signal, mesh won't improve it. So let's look at your hub settings and its placement in your home. 

What hub or router have you got ?  

superfast5gpls
Fledgling

@Avondale 

Hi thanks for your response, I have the most recently Three 5g router (the white box looking one). 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @superfast5gpls,

Is it the same model as the image you shared? That's the Zyxel NR5103E.

Three Community is celebrating our 2nd Birthday with a prize draw! join in here

superfast5gpls
Fledgling

@JonathanB 

Hi yes it is the one that is on the photo.

Avondale
Rising star

@superfast5gpls

Have you tried moving the hub around your home, placing it on window-sills, high up, moving it around the building etc ? I have heard anecdotal reports of folks' signals being improved by moving the hub just a few inches or by turning them slightly ; apparently the built-in antenna is very sensitive. . 

superfast5gpls
Fledgling

@Avondale 

Yes the place where it is currently has the highest signal and speed (anywhere else and it just goes straight to 4G+ and the ping becomes terrible (which is not good for gaming as my son keeps telling me 😂)

Spud
Involved

The dBm, download speed, upload speed and ping look typical for a 4G connection I get on my ZTE 4G router. We have no 5G here though I tried my son's NR5103E which got much the same results.

Although the network status says 5G, I wonder if it really is? Can you see if you are connected to channel N78(? I believe that's the 5G channel), if only connected to channels like B1, B3 & B20 then that's 4G only.

superfast5gpls
Fledgling

@Spud 

Hi I tried changing the bands to be n78 only, and then only n bands and then it just says “connection down” and someone it’s not a valid sim however it came WITH the router so it has to be a 5g SIM

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @superfast5gpls,

Currently 5G Broadband is NSA (Non Stand Alone), this means it uses a combination of 4/5G frequencies. Unless there's at least one "B" band connected in addition to the N78 5G one, you won't be able to connect.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Three Community is celebrating our 2nd Birthday with a prize draw! join in here