cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 5G with NR5103E

boogaloo
Active

From reading around I am clearly not the only one who has suffered from not having 5G on this router. Gutted because I really want this to work!

Firmware is the b12 version and I've tried selecting bands B1/3/20 along with N78, to no avail - the admin portal still shows no signal for 5G cellular WAN. Occasionally, but not always, the hardware LED will light up blue for the internet connection (which supposedly means 5G).

I popped the SIM into my new mobile phone (5G, no wifi) and I get 789Mbps download and 86.8Mbps upload. I do the same speed test (Ookla) with the same device but with just wifi this time and with the SIM in the router... Weirdly, I get 360Mbps down and 71Mbps up. Tried another device and it gets 205Mbps down and 70Mbps up. Maybe I am getting 5G, but it's just not showing in the admin portal?!

Either way, something's awry. Definitely get 5G signal in my home as puting the SIM in my mobile demonstrated. Not sure I'm happy with the faulty router/firmware, though. If I'm getting 5G I definitely want it to say that it is 😂 and if I'm not, well, I want 5G...

Best solution
Best solution
boogaloo
Active

Good news - I got a replacement router today and 5G is pretty solid. I get up to 850Mbps download!! AMAZING.

Thank you to all who recommended getting a replacement router. It was worth the hassle.

View solution in conversation

20 REPLIES 20
crypt0ninja
Established

Sounds like you also have a faulty NR5103E if you can get 5G fine on Three with other devices but not the NR5103E.

Might be worth trying to lock the bands to b1+n78 and also try b3+n78 to see if it will show any signs of 5G, but if not then it does indeed sound like a hardware fault with your router like I had myself and also many others.

Edtasonic
Regular

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I played around with locking the bands but still no sign of 5G, most I can get is 4G+ with about 50mbps down. Mobile on 3 next to the router getting 5G and 330mbps! Do you know how easy it is to get a replacement? I'm well within my 14 day cooling off period so considering whether to just cancel if it's going to be pain getting three to send a new unit.

crypt0ninja
Established

I know of someone who called up and asked for the issue to be escalated in which they were then offered a replacement.

Just got to be firm with the fact that the router must be faulty as other devices on the same network in the same location pick up the 5G signal just fine. Some call centre customer service advisors have told people that their local mast is only supplying mobile phone signal and not router signal etc but this is not true at all. Masts/Cells are not device specific.

If other devices pick up 5G just fine in the same location then so should the router.

If that fails then maybe @JonathanB can assist to save you having to cancel and re-order...

lovell100
Active

Yeah just be firm they will try to fob you off with all sorts of utter tosh, but they must be becoming aware that this is quite a widespread issue now.

Best solution
boogaloo
Active

Good news - I got a replacement router today and 5G is pretty solid. I get up to 850Mbps download!! AMAZING.

Thank you to all who recommended getting a replacement router. It was worth the hassle.

Edtasonic
Regular

That's great news, I'm calling them up tomorrow - how easy was it to get the replacement sent out?

andrewkendall
Fledgling

How did you get a replacement? We are using our NR5103E on our canal boat, so we have luxury of moving to find best signals. Problem I am seeing is when we are in a good LTE area it's amazing. But if we cruise to a 5G area signal is erratic, drops out and seems identical to how yours was performing whereas my iPhone 14 Pro gets amazing stable 5G in same place. I'm convinced our modem has same issues as you did, but support refuse to replace it.

Choppy
Fledgling

I'm having exactly the same issues as you all. My phone connects to 5G no problems. Bit this router will not connect ever. Tried all the bands to no avail.. They said there's a problem in my area but 5g is working fine on numerous devices I have in my area.. How do I get them to change my router?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Choppy,

Are you still experiencing these issues with the router not connecting to 5G?

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Choppy
Fledgling

I managed to get a replacement router.. It took alot of unneeded arguments but they sent one and it worked perfectly.. I now get 5g. Some of the routers just be a faulty batch