cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outage or faulty Zyxel?

colderclimate
Fledgling

Late last night (11/5) my router appeared to drop the 5G connection and I was without service for a while. My phone reverted to 4G data on my phone carrier and I haven't been able to connect to WiFi since. Oddly wired connections are working and the router - are resetting, restarts, cold boots, recabling, etc - now shows a red power light, where it used to be green.

Is my Zyxel kaputt?

6 REPLIES 6
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello. 

Welcome to the Three Community. 

To confirm, you are no longer seeing a Wi-Fi network coming from the router on your devices? And devices that connect by ethernet are still able to get online as normal? If so, it sounds like it could be a configuration issue, or a faulty Hub. 

If not, can you provide a bit more information to clarify where I've misunderstood? 

Pete.

colderclimate
Fledgling

Wired connections seem ok, but it's neither seen nor can.be connected tomvia WiFi. When it boots up the top light is green for a moment then settles and turns red. I can't find anything indicating this means anything bad but red is never good and.. well, it coincides with it not working very well. 

1000005116.jpg

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @colderclimate,

I can only speculate but it certainly seems like a hardware problem. It sounds like you've already tried reboots, factory resetting, alternative cables. I'd also recommend to try the router plugged into another power socket at home, just to cover all bases.

Just to check, when you did the reset, was this by holding the reset button on the back for more than 5 seconds? 

Your router also supports WPS so you could try the WPS button, should be the one just below the lights in your image. That may help establish if your Wi-FI is still broadcasting but is hidden.

It's a little harder to see in the image, but the WPS button doesn't seem to be lighting up green, which usually indicated Wi-Fi is disabled.

Regardless, if this red light is persisting, I'd recommend calling the Broadband team. If you explain the issue, and you're currently in contract for that router I expect they can help with an exchange.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

colderclimate
Fledgling

Well, Three support seems to think the red power light / WiFi in my house - notwithstanding the wired connection is working - relates to a known piece of work they're carrying out. I can't see it myself, but hey.

Spud
Involved

Sorry to hear that. It looks like you're in for some Three "Support" grief as a red light is a "device error" on V1 (table 6) and V2 (table 7) routers.

Spud
Involved

From the Zyxel manual chapter 2, table 6, NR5103E LED Behaviour - Red Power Light on: "Zyxel Device error, need to take action"

Yes, that indicates a faulty router