cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three 5g poor upload speeds and download speeds go down at peak

asmm65
Fledgling

Hello all,

I have recently chosen Three 5g in post code DE14 and used it for 2/3 weeks. I decided to get a omni antenna(pointing 4g/5g) which has been useful since last week to increase signal strength and speeds. I tried both auto band and band locking. I was getting around 100mpbs download and up to 4/5 mb upload on B1 and n78 and also on B20 with n78 but at peak times they go down to 20/30mb download and 2/3mb upload.

I have noticed since yesterday that my router is now connecting to a cell which I am not aware of and is giving me awful upload speeds but good download speeds (they still vary significantly with in space of minutes), signal strength is good but due to awful upload speed and very bad ping and jitter, takes ages to connect to websites etc.

Would love to get some feedback from people here if they have tried something different or should I get out of three contract while I can (another week to go!)

@crypt0ninja 

5 REPLIES 5
sc1999
Local celebrity

What broadband did you have before? I live in a rural area where I am on the edge of 5g and I get dreadful 4g and 5g so I am sticking with my 150 meg FTTP from BT for the foreseeable future. 

asmm65
Fledgling

I wish I had that 150mb FTTP choice. only get 30mb odd max here.

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

You can try performing a PLMN manual scan on the router (Broadband > Cellular PLMN) and disable PLMN Auto Selection to see if you can select an alternative Three transmitter location (PLMN is 23420 for Three Mobile) to the one it's currently on. If it doesn't work, just reset the router.

In my area I'm lucky to have several Three LTE masts and the router switches automatically to get the best performance.

asmm65
Fledgling

Reset the router already couple of times but no luck. It seems like I am getting a better signal now without the antenna and upload speed improved a bit.

I will try your suggestion of disabling PLMN auto.

bulldog555
Involved

No need to disabled PLMN leave it it on Auto.