cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zyxel NR5103E V2 USB stick problems writing files

Psmithson
Involved

Hi,

Does anyone else use the USB socket? I've got a large USB stick in there so I use it as a cheap NAS. It worked on my old router and it worked on this Zyxel router for a while but now it has a problem. I can read files from it and I can copy small files to it but larger files will cause an error from my Windows PC. (No it's not full)

My workaround is to take it out of the router, plug it into the PC, and then copy the file. Bit of a pain!

Thanks.

Best solution
Best solution
Psmithson
Involved

Hi Peter, it's Peter here. I noticed when copying on my PC that the USB stick will suddenly drop in speed. Apparently they do this when they need to search for space. It only happens after copying about 500GB in one go. I guess the router can't cope with that delay and throws an error. Tested my theory with a USB HDD plugged in the router and that works OK so switching to that.

View solution in conversation

2 REPLIES 2
Best solution
Psmithson
Involved

Hi Peter, it's Peter here. I noticed when copying on my PC that the USB stick will suddenly drop in speed. Apparently they do this when they need to search for space. It only happens after copying about 500GB in one go. I guess the router can't cope with that delay and throws an error. Tested my theory with a USB HDD plugged in the router and that works OK so switching to that.

Psmithson
Involved

I mean 500MB!