cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3g shut down emasculating 4g phone's calling abilities

Geluk
Key player

In Oct 22 bought a NOKIA 4g phone for my wife to prepare for 3g shut down.

Today I find it can only do texts, not calls.

3 CHAT advise VOLTE must be enabled; phone was sold by AMAZON as VOLTE

enabled. It clearly isn't as there's no VOLTE options in settings.

My 4 year old MOTO smartphone hasn't got VOLTE capability but works ok.

Strangely recently saw YOUTUBE VIDEO on how 3g switch off in Australia is causing grief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPlTz-3estM&pp=ygUnM2cgc2h1dCBkb3duIGluIGF1c3RyYWxpYSBjYXVzaW5nIGdya... 

Best solution
Best solution
linewait
Active

Hi @MichaelP 

I followed these steps on my Xperia 1ii and nothing changed (except me having to re-enter all my wifi passwords). I expect the same will be the case for the 10ii.

Can you clarify whether or not VoLTE relies on something being enabled at the phone company end?

The page here on the Sony website implies that it does - if 4G calling or VoLTE isn't available in the settings it says to "contact your network operator".

View solution in conversation

20 REPLIES 20
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Ah sorry @Geluk, it looks like our support info suggests this handset won't support VoLTE on Three. Moto G6 Play.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Geluk
Key player

Changed to SIM2 slot; no change👎

Geluk
Key player

UPDATE

New SIM received for my emergency phone [NOKIA 105 4G]; 3 immediately recognise, + send text to it, but 

still a brick regards making calls 😞  New phone ordered.

Geluk
Key player

UPDATE 2

3G is still operative at our local mast.
Now find my wife's main phone on EE, can only do texts, and it seems
my Moto has lost calls ability [on 3], since Monday.

Wonder if it's local mast problem, shared by 3 & EE/Vodafone.

Geluk
Key player

UPDATE 3!

This morning 1 of my 3 phones works for telephony [Not VOLTE enabled according to Nokia],  and another on EE, So something must have been to local mast.

MOTO G6 VOLTE.jpg
My MOTO G6 Play continues as a text only device.

Inputting these numbers on any Android phone will show it's VOLTE status; *#*#4636#*#*

mg588
Fledgling

Seems like I'm having the same problem. I picked up a second hand Sony Xperia 10 II (which was listed on Three's device support page as VoLTE capable) ready for the switch-off, installed a new PAYG SIM, but now I'm dead in the water for making/receiving calls.

On checking the phone info, the 'VoLTE provisioned' option is similarly greyed out.

linewait
Active

Similar to my Sony Xperia 1ii.

FYI I get the same thing now I'm on O2's network ("VoLTE provisoned" is greyed out) but at least I can make and receive calls (for now).

MichaelP
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hey @mg588,

Thanks for getting in touch. 

When you purchase a device directly from Three, the VoLTE settings are locked by Three and are already enabled. As you've advised that you purchased the phone elsewhere and the VoLTE setting is greyed out, please try the following steps:

-If the phone has Dual-SIM functionality, please check that the Three SIM is in SIM slot 1 and is selected as the primary SIM.
-If still doesn't work, please update the software and reset the network settings on the device. Please note that this will clear any Wi-Fi and Bluetooh history/passwords.
-If you have access to a SIM from a different network, please try inserting this in your phone to check if you can see the VoLTE settings.

Thanks,
Michael

Best solution
linewait
Active

Hi @MichaelP 

I followed these steps on my Xperia 1ii and nothing changed (except me having to re-enter all my wifi passwords). I expect the same will be the case for the 10ii.

Can you clarify whether or not VoLTE relies on something being enabled at the phone company end?

The page here on the Sony website implies that it does - if 4G calling or VoLTE isn't available in the settings it says to "contact your network operator".

Geluk
Key player

If VOLTE isn't in phone settings , you're not able to toggle on yourself. Obviously 3

offer VOLTE, but it maybe they don't support on your SONY. Apparently each manufacturer

has their own protocol that network operators have to incorporate on their side.