cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G on Three - 'We’re fixing an issue with our network in this area' - for weeks at a time!

radiomean
Regular

Hi, I bought a 3 Sim as my area (Cambridge, CB3) is shown as having 5G coverage, - and so is quite a lot of Cambridge. Three 5G claims to be 'up to 500 megs download', which is pretty spectacular!

However, I don't get 5G at my home address and although I get a 5G connection at my work address (in central Cambridge) I get 30 to 50 megs download, slower than normal 4G.

If I put my postcode into the 'network status checker' I get the message 'We’re fixing an issue with our network in this area' for anywhere in Cambridge. I have been trying this for weeks and I continue to get this message! When will Three get this sorted please?

It's all very well having 100MHz of continuous 5G spectrum but it is no good if the network can't cope or has long-term failures...

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
sc1999
Local celebrity

Welcome to the club. The network status checker has been showing work being done every day for 3 months so take the thing with a large pinch of salt. You can try phoning 333 but they are not much help. My phone occasionally shows 5G but speed checker just won't run and the browser just sits there until I turn 5G off. 

The biggest problem, I think, is that all of the networks have been too successful in selling home broadband and just cannot install new bandwidth fast enough.

radiomean
Regular

Thanks for your reply. I know my system is working fine as I can get 5G from EE (up to 240 megs down) easily. However the 3 UK coverage checker shows good 3 coverage as well, and they claim 'up to 500 megs down' so I am keen to get 3 working as well.

But it looks like it is not going to happen any time soon!

a_ukboy
Active

Yep, where I’m living the coverage checker has stated there’s work being done in my area since 2016… Don’t hold your breath! 
whenever I complain about it I’m told to use Wi-Fi calling! I do have a Three Home Signal box but three retired them last month! 

radiomean
Regular

OK... So it looks like 6G will be retired by the time I get 5G coverage? 😁

I have to say whenever I test coverage and speed with 3UK, it's consistently below what I would expect...

Edit - I'm currently in a rural area where 4G coverage is shown, but I am only getting 3G...

Cheers!

radiomean
Regular

OK, I think I know what is going on...

I am currently at a rural location where the 3 coverage checker says I will have 4G, but my cellular routers will only get 3G. I've put this sim in my phone and it reluctantly gets 4G, but the speed is atrocious! I've now tested the speed right up to the base of the local 4G enabled towers, and even standing next to one it is only 15 to 20meg down and 5meg or so up. I previously tested the local 5G enabled tower (very strange in a rural area but it's there!) and download was 35 to 40 megs, so even that is only comparable with slow 4G.

So - and with reading other postings - it looks like it is a capacity issue. I guess 3 either don't let you attach to 4G or 5G if it is too busy, and anyway the core network probably can't handle the speed. I am not sure how 3 can claim to be the 'fastest 5G network'. Hmmm...

Edit - the rural 5G (water) tower I am near is at NR11 8AT (please don't remove this postcode!)

PS - to give a little praise where it is due, I like this forum software!