cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone recommend a free PAYG SIM on another network?

genian
Regular

My current 24-month contract is ending and I want to switch to Three's PAYG as bizarrely, it offers the best deal if you frequently travel abroad. 

I got a free SIM and was all ready to switch my number, but was told via webchat that they don't support PAYG anymore and it's impossible to switch my number internally from a monthly contract to PAYG. However if I was on Three PAYG and wanted to switch to a monthly contract, then strangely that was possible.

I was told the only option available to me is to get a PAC code, get a SIM from another provider, switch my number over to them, get another PAC code and then switch back.

It's a faff, but one I'm willing to do - however I've now discovered a lot of PAYG SIMs from other providers require you to  top up with credit before you can actually activate the SIM card. O2/Vodaphone/EE/GiffGaff all have a minimum £10 top up to activate the card.

Can anyone recommend a PAYG SIM that doesn't require you to pay to activate it? I only need it for the purposes of switching my number over and back - I guess for no more than 24hrs - I'd rather not have to pay £10 for the privilege. I'm guessing it's unlikely Three would reimburse me for this cost to do something they should be able to, but can't/won't...

11 REPLIES 11
sc1999
Local celebrity

Try Smarty, they are owned by 3 and offer free roaming. 

genian
Regular

Thanks for the suggestion - unfortunately I've just tried a Smarty SIM and it also requires a top up, although slightly cheaper at £6. Smarty's free roaming is EU only and I travel to the US mostly, so Three's free Go Roam on PAYG is the clear winner when most other networks charge £6/day to roam there or per MB.  

genian
Regular

Just to add to the above - after a bit of Googling, I've found conflicting information about how frequently you can port your number. I've found a few sites that say there is no restriction - but also a few sites that say you can only port your number out after you've been with your current provider for 90 days, which would suggest switching back to Three wouldn't be as quick as originally thought. 

Can anyone please confirm?

sc1999
Local celebrity

I think the 90 days applies in India as the article is on an Indian website. 

I am not sure about the time limit but 3 gives you 30 days to change you mind so, if you cancel, they must give you a pac code. It used to be that there was a minimum period before you could return as a new customer but you may qualify as an upgrade. 

Moderator help please as this is interesting.

sc1999
Local celebrity

Why not buy a US sim?

genian
Regular

Good question - I'd like to keep my number and not have the faff of switching SIMs whenever I travel - which also includes going to Europe and the Caribbean. 

Aside from that, I was looking around for a new contract anyway as my current one is ending where I was paying £8.74/mth for unlimited calls/texts and 12GB data. No other contract anywhere seems to be as good as effectively paying £10/mth on Three's PAYG with unlimited calls/texts, 10GB of data and free international roaming.

I've got an upcoming 17-day ATW trip - my choices are either £60 travel bolt ons if I stay on my lapsed contract, or just switch to PAYG and pay £10. It's a no brainer... just proving to be not as straightforward as I had expected...

sc1999
Local celebrity

You don't need a new contract. After 24 months it should just run at the same cost.

genian
Regular

In theory yes, but I squeezed in a new 24-month contract right before they ended free international roaming in October 2021, so once my contract ends - as far as I know - I'll lose that benefit and will have to buy travel bolt ons. But yes, the calls/data will run at the same cost.

You're making me question myself though... off to the webchat to clarify!

sc1999
Local celebrity

Can't answer that one. Message a moderator and ask, more reliable than customer service.