cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone recommend a free PAYG SIM on another network?

genian
Regular

My current 24-month contract is ending and I want to switch to Three's PAYG as bizarrely, it offers the best deal if you frequently travel abroad. 

I got a free SIM and was all ready to switch my number, but was told via webchat that they don't support PAYG anymore and it's impossible to switch my number internally from a monthly contract to PAYG. However if I was on Three PAYG and wanted to switch to a monthly contract, then strangely that was possible.

I was told the only option available to me is to get a PAC code, get a SIM from another provider, switch my number over to them, get another PAC code and then switch back.

It's a faff, but one I'm willing to do - however I've now discovered a lot of PAYG SIMs from other providers require you to  top up with credit before you can actually activate the SIM card. O2/Vodaphone/EE/GiffGaff all have a minimum £10 top up to activate the card.

Can anyone recommend a PAYG SIM that doesn't require you to pay to activate it? I only need it for the purposes of switching my number over and back - I guess for no more than 24hrs - I'd rather not have to pay £10 for the privilege. I'm guessing it's unlikely Three would reimburse me for this cost to do something they should be able to, but can't/won't...

11 REPLIES 11
genian
Regular

I suspect you're right - I just spoke to someone who gave me conflicting information. On the one hand they said I would continue on the same terms, but when I specifically queried the roaming issue, they pasted the current Go Roam terms where you get charged a daily amount to unlock your allowance. I said that wasn't my plan, they said it was "for better understanding" but insisted I wouldn't be charged.

On the Three app in my account under Add-Ons where it shows my free Go Roam, it says "Some of our plans have add-ons that are included, or discounted, for part or all of your minimum term." Which I took to mean after my minimum term it wouldn't be included anymore.

@JonathanB or @JohnD are you able to help on any of my queries at all?

JohnD
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hey @genian 

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you! 

So there is a couple of things here, sorry for the conflicting info you've had. Regarding your price plan coming to the end of its minimum term. Your cost and plan and any applicable terms will remain the same until you either make a change or cancel. 

The only exception to this is if the price plan that you're on is retired, this would result in your account going through tariff migration. When this is something that's going to happen, you'd be contacted in advance and provided a few options for new plans based on your usage. If there was no decision made, your plan would automatically be moved to a monthly rolling plan on any new terms. 

With the conversion to PAYG, this is something that you will be able to do in time. Totally appreciate that there's a lot of faff in transferring out of network and coming back. 

As of right now, the best way to do this would be to order a free PAYG SIM online here: Free Pay As You Go SIM | Three. When you get the SIM, pop it into you're phone, register your account and download the app. 

Go back to your Monthly SIM and text to request a PAC More information about leaving Three | Support | Three Go onto you're PAYG app and request port in. 

I know there is a lot of info here, however, the mix-up appears to be with the specific circumstance around your request. At the moment, we can't support the conversion of your current account to PAYG, but you can still take a PAYG and transfer the number. 

I hope this helps, any issues, give me a shout. 

Thanks

John D