Our new roaming giveaway is live find out more here!
Give us your feedback about how easy you've found getting ready to roam on the above linked article, and you'll be in with the chance to win one of 10, 7 day Go Roam passes to use in Europe and Around the World destinations. Prize draw open till 01 May 2024
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Booster Signal Box turn off

Melrox22
Fledgling

I got a text from you last week informing me that you intend to switch off the Home Booster Signal box saying they are no longer needed. Well I’m sorry to say I need mine as without it I don’t get a signal, even with WiFi calling enabled on MY phone which goes through my broadband provider (not 3), I’m really stressing at this as I NEED my phone. Your customer service agents just didn’t understand what I was trying to say, and when the first one INSISTED that I turn off the booster box myself I’d still have the call to him. I didn’t, the signal disappeared and so did the call. If you switch it off, I will have to leave 3 (been with you for 7 years) and I’m in the middle of a sim only contract, which I refuse to pay to get out off. 

Help!

11 REPLIES 11
Melrox22
Fledgling

It won’t let me delete! 

Clever-Trevor
Involved

Anyone know how we should dispose of the router? ( as I dont want to dispose myself & then receive a ‘charge’ later if not properly returned )

Melrox22
Fledgling

Wait til they send you a bag for returning, then make sure you get proof of postage, then they can’t charge you 

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi, Melrox. 

Welcome to the Three Community. 

It's quite rare that we see these home signal boxes pop up as a concern for our customers, there's not a whole lot of them left out there anymore. I can understand the concern you're facing though. Sadly, as technology moves on, we must move along with it. The main reason the home signal boxes won't be supported any more is because the underlying 3G technology that powers it will also be going away. We'll be a 4G and 5G network at that time, and the frequencies we used on 3G will be used to support that network instead.  

You've mentioned that WiFi calling doesn't help you. WiFi calling doesn't work properly when a home signal box is in use. Have you tried turning the booster off and restarting the phone to see if it will connect to the WiFi calling system afterwards? 

Pete.

Melrox22
Fledgling

Hi Pete, my phone is 4G enabled (set to 3G at the moment) regardless even for 4G I still need a signal for my phone to work. My phone is already connected to my WiFi for calling (Talk Talk) I don’t don’t have WiFi with Three. 

Ladyinred
Fledgling

Sarah,  I too  have  signal problems,  they say it's not the network . Well my calls get cut off all the time and always hospital  calls go to voicemail,  all I get is one bar then goes up to two just up and down all the time  I know how frustrating it is .

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Ladyinred,

Sorry to hear that you've been having issues with your calls disconnecting, especially from the hospital. Have you checked our coverage and network status checkers here? This will help determine if there is an overall coverage limitation, or any faults in your area.

Although we are no longer supplying the home signal boxes, if you have WiFi at home, it's also worth checking if your phone supports WiFi calling. When this is switched on in the settings, your phone swaps to the WiFi signal when you don't have a good signal for calling.

Let me know if any of this helps.

JonathanB

We'd like to hear your feedback! Let us know how easy you find it to get ready to Roam, and be in with a chance to win 7 days of free Roaming Passes – find out more here!

allmiles
Fledgling

Hello.

Home Signal is a great product and solves several genuine problems that WiFi calling can't. Universal coverage would be the long term alternative (but by then we'll all be very old). If 3G is retiring then it's time for Three to deploy a 4G version of Home Signal. Yes, you'd have to invest but that's business - deliver the value and enjoy the extra revenue. Deliver less value and be ready for less revenue...

henrynash
Fledgling

This switch off is a real problem for me too. No (or minimal) mobile signal where I live (mast is the other side of the hill). Home Booster has been a lifeline. WiFi calling can be made to work - but phones are not that good at auto-switching to it, often having to manually switch. As a long time three customer, this decision will defiantly make me look elsewhere for a better carrier.