Logging in just got better. Find out how.
Good news – you can now use your My3 login details for Three Community.
The first time you use them, you can link your current Community username. Or you can create a new one.
Not used My3 before? You can register before you access Three Community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot use my phone abroad

Kevlar139
Fledgling

I have an iPhone 13 and cannot use it in Canary Islands. I have a pay monthly plan but cannot get anything!  Data roaming is turned on. Do I need anything else? Cannot get through on app or telephone or live chat 😬

9 REPLIES 9
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Kevlar139,

Welcome the the Three Community.

I suspect this may be an issue on the account, usually switching data roaming on is all you have to do. It could be that a spend limit is interfering, or that roaming isn't active. Or it could be an issue with the local network over there. I'm sending you a PM so we can get you in touch with the right people to help.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Mollyparker
Fledgling

Hi I’m also having the same issue, I tried to speak to an operator but it said none available. Please help - not having a phone abroad is a nightmare. I tried to check my spend cap and I couldn’t, I don’t think the apps working 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Mollyparker,

Welcome to the Three Community.

I hope you managed to get this working over the weekend, but just in case I'm sending you a PM with more guidance.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Steph3
Fledgling

Hi All,

I have also had the same issue when using an iphone abroad. The settings were correct and my phone said I had full 4G signal, but website would not load & data was not available (calls were ok though).

I have spoken to 2 different advisors but neither was able to resolve it, even through all the steps were worked through (I spent over an hour going through all the options with no impact).

Is there a software push or modifcation/update required for iphones specifically? This is what I had to do with a previous provider on my previous iphone.

Thanks for any help you can offer (before I look at changing providers).

Stephanie

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Steph3,

Just to check, it sounds like you are referring to a past experience, or are you still roaming right now?

Judging from calls working fine, roaming would have been active on your account. With regards to software, I'm not aware of anything you'd need specifically to roam, but I'd definitely check that you are on the latest software update in case this was causing any unexpected issues.

It sounds like what you'd experience if data roaming was switched off in the settings, but I'm sure that would have been checked at the time?

Is there any other info you can share? For example do you remember, or have any screenshots of what the error message was when you failed to connect? Also which country or countries was this happening in?

JonathanB

Ayshea
Fledgling

Hi I am in Florida and have a pay as you go data pack with unlimited calls but keep getting a message saying I don’t have enough credit to make this call

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Ayshea,

That's a really strange issue. I would check to make sure you're dialling is in international format in your contacts. To call the UK you need to replace the 0 with +44, for example a UK mobile would be +447.

Let me know if that helps.

JonathanB

Bnspncr
Fledgling

Hello - I’m having an issue while in the US - I have access to mobile data, but no voice or sms, so I am unable to make or receive calls and texts or pick-up my voicemails 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Bnspncr,

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been unable to make calls or send texts from the US. It sounds like your roaming must be active on the account, as you're able to use mobile data.

This may be related to the 3G shutdown in the US. Check in your settings to see if you have an option for enabling calls over 4G. In the settings this may be referred to as 4G supervoice, voice over LTE, or voice over 4G, or another wording to this effect (this can vary a little bit with software versions, and where you purchased the handset from).

If you can't see a setting like this, you may find that manually selecting a different network will help. Check for the network or carrier selection settings, and change this from automatic to manual. This will allow you to switch to another network's signal whilst your away, in case there's a fault or some sort of compatibility issue with the network you've connected to automatically.

If you change to manual network selection, remember to change this back to automatic for arriving back in the UK.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you're still experiencing any issues making calls/texts after you've tried the above.

JonathanB