cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live voicemail

rky
Involved

Hi

Does anyone know if live voicemail can work with three?

IMG_0384.jpeg

Best solution
Best solution
rky
Involved

I am pleased to inform you that I have successfully enabled visual voicemail with my iPhone, even with Three, which does not typically support this feature. Here's how I achieved it:

1. Go to Settings > General > Region.
2. Set the region to the United States.
3. Restart your iPhone.
4. Make a test call to your number from another phone.
5. You will see a voicemail button on the call screen. Click it.
6. The caller will be prompted to record a voicemail. As they speak, their words will appear on the screen, allowing you to either answer the call or ignore it.
7. After the caller finishes recording, you will receive a visual voicemail notification. You can view the voicemail transcript, play the voicemail, delete it, or share it. All visual voicemail features will be available.

For your information, I have deactivated the standard voicemail service on my number since Three does not support visual voicemail. Despite this, the live voicemail feature works because it is managed solely by the iPhone. I deactivated the standard voicemail as I plan to travel abroad without an international roaming package and do not want to incur charges. After returning, I will reactivate the standard voicemail service.

Please note that if your normal voicemail service is active, you will need to verify whether this method works for you. If it does, we may have finally resolved the issue of visual voicemail not being available on Three for the past 15 years.

View solution in conversation

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Heard of it (and gathered it was going to be enabled with iOS 17) but as Three don’t even support visual voicemail I think the answer is no.

Best solution
rky
Involved

I am pleased to inform you that I have successfully enabled visual voicemail with my iPhone, even with Three, which does not typically support this feature. Here's how I achieved it:

1. Go to Settings > General > Region.
2. Set the region to the United States.
3. Restart your iPhone.
4. Make a test call to your number from another phone.
5. You will see a voicemail button on the call screen. Click it.
6. The caller will be prompted to record a voicemail. As they speak, their words will appear on the screen, allowing you to either answer the call or ignore it.
7. After the caller finishes recording, you will receive a visual voicemail notification. You can view the voicemail transcript, play the voicemail, delete it, or share it. All visual voicemail features will be available.

For your information, I have deactivated the standard voicemail service on my number since Three does not support visual voicemail. Despite this, the live voicemail feature works because it is managed solely by the iPhone. I deactivated the standard voicemail as I plan to travel abroad without an international roaming package and do not want to incur charges. After returning, I will reactivate the standard voicemail service.

Please note that if your normal voicemail service is active, you will need to verify whether this method works for you. If it does, we may have finally resolved the issue of visual voicemail not being available on Three for the past 15 years.

rky
Involved

IMG_0385.jpeg

here is the proof once it’s recorded it will be shown like this

rky
Involved

I used a VoIP call app to make the test call to my iPhone since I don't have another SIM in my Android device. The app uses WiFi and generates a random caller ID, which is why the screenshot shows Belgium. When you try this method, you will likely be very pleased, as it resolves the visual voicemail issue with Three.

rky
Involved

IMG_0386.png

LIVE VOICEMAIL DURING INTERNATIONAL ROAMING
Another piece of good news is that this trick should work while I am in India. By using this voicemail method, the call duration does not start, and the iPhone manages everything without actually receiving the call.

This means there will be no international roaming charges for incoming calls handled by the iPhone system, as the call duration is not recorded. I am 99% confident about this, but I will confirm once I test it in non-Go Roam countries like India. If I do incur charges, I will update this thread to advise against using this method while on international roaming where incoming calls are not free.

Bigmama0072004
Regular

just tried it now with the standard voicemail service turned on and it works

Anonymous
Not applicable

It works for me on iOS 18 beta