cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Data Passports

tarantella
Involved

How do you buy multiple Data Passports in advance of travelling overseas?

10 REPLIES 10
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello. 

My understanding was that they can be purchased and stacked, but that they need to be ordered 1 at a time. 

After placing the order for the first Passport, are you not able to go back into the addon section and order another? 

Pete. 

tarantella
Involved

Am I able to request CS add on multiple Data Passports via Live Chat?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @tarantella,

Data Passports can only be purchased through self service, on My3 or the Three App.

Customer services can assist with any other add ons including the Go Roam passes, but Data Passport is always activated from the customer's end.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

tarantella
Involved

Thanks Pete: it worked!

Nirron
Fledgling

Hi. Going to USA and went into 3 store re "roaming". Advice was to get a £10 PAYG with 12gb (fair usage?) of data. Assume that I would have to change my phone number with banks/credit cards temporarily?. Data Passports seem to give unlimited data for the day which I would prefer. However no-one in store mentioned Data Passports. Couldnt find an option for DP on the app as it took me to a 14 day Go Roam pass. Can someone point me in the right direction to access them? Any thots about DP vs Roaming?. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thx

PeteyP
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello. 

I think the advice given in store might have been given out of concern for prioritising cost. Going to USA with PAYG would normally be cheaper than contract because you don't have the daily charge. 

If you do however want to use larger amounts of data there, then the cost of £5 for the Passport can start to make more sense. The Data Passport (I think it's called Data Pass in the app) is usually in the same Add-on page as the Go Roam Passes. You might have to press the button near the bottom to view all of the available add-ons as they don't all show at once. 

Go Roam is specifically for covering the cost that's normally incurred for using roaming services while in a Go Roam destination. The cost in USA would be £5 each day that you use an allowance, such as making a call, sending a text, or using any Data. If you only plan on using Data, and lots of it, then having a Data Passport active on the account would allow you to use Unlimited Data, and as long as the Passport is active before you use any Data, you won't be charged for the Data Passport and the Data Pass, unless you make a call or send a text. 

If you're plan is to use a Data Passport each day, it would be best to stack some on the account so that they are on there and they can activate immediately each day when needed. You can't buy more than one at a time, however you can place multiple separate orders for them, so you could have 2 or 3 on there, and all you'd need to do is make sure that you always have at least one ready for the next day to start. 

You'll find specifics on the Data Passport on the Data Passport Page.

Pete. 

Nirron
Fledgling

Thx for the reply. I had continued looking into this myself and come to the same conclusion but your answer helps

Last year Indid the PAYG option but had to change phone number for all the bank accounts/credit cards that I was planning on using. Worried they would text me to query a payment (suspicious activity) which was a pain and turns out no purchases/withdrawals were queried🤦.  I also spent the 2 weeks worrying about using the 12gbs up too quickly. As I am used to having unlimited data with my plan, just wanted the same while on holiday. The only person I text is my wife, and she will be with me😂. Happy to try the Data Passport and see how it works out. The only other issue was some staff still insist the 24hrs is midnight to midnight whereas the link you provide confirms it is a 24 hr period.

Thx again for your reply, much appreciated

Linzid
Regular

Hi Petey, can I ask a couple of further questions about this please.  My daughter is going to Turkey shortly for a week.  If I buy 7 data passports for her now, will the first one automatically kick in when she gets off the plane in Turkey.  Or will she have to get on some other data access to activate it ?  Also, will each subsequent daily passport automatically kick in when the previous one runs out, or will she have to do anything additional to trigger these each day.  Last question (probably dumb !).  I assume, the first data passport will only kick in when she gets to Turkey, there's no possibility any of the pre purchased passports can be used whilst she's still in the UK.  Many thanks, Linzi

KateS
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hey Linzi,

Once your daughter starts using data in their destination, the Daily Roaming Data Passport will activate.

Once the Data Passport has been activated, you can use as much data as you want, for 24 hours. So, if you activate it at 13:00, you’ll have unlimited data to use as you like until 12:59 the next day. The next Data Passport will then kick in.

On your last question, the Passport won't activate until your daughter lands in the destination and triggers data roaming, so no worries there. 

I hope your daughter has a great time in Turkey and please don't hesitate to reach out if any issues arise.

Thanks,
Kate