cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone has randomly changed number

renfin96
Fledgling

I bought my phone (Samsung Galaxy S22) in December of last year so have had it for a good few months with no issues. Last night I text a friend and it went through to her on a number she didn't recognise. I then checked on my contacts app and there are two numbers saved (one to the sim and one to the phone), neither of which are my number.

It gets weirder, however, as when they call my regular number it comes through. I then tried texting my mum and she got a text with my usual number. When I text the friend who is getting the new number there are read receipts that I don't get when I text my mum so I'm wondering if that could have anything to do with it?

I know it's definitely my phone and not my friends as the contact section isn't showing my usual number.

1 REPLY 1
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @renfin96,

That is a weird issue indeed. The first thing I'd check is that your Google account isn't still signed in on any old phones. Perhaps the contacts synced from another device that is still signed in with your account?

I'm working from a Pixel 6, but this should be roughly the same on most Androids. Go to Settings>Google>Manage your Google Account>Security then there should be a devices section that will let you sign out of any devices you don't recognise.

Your phone will also support a text service sometimes referred to RCS or chat where it sends the messages over a data connection if both users have this active. This may be why it's only happening for messages to some of your contacts.

I'd suggest deleting the incorrect numbers if you don't recognise them at all, then go to Messages, usually you'll find message settings in the top right menu. Look for anything referring to chat or RCS (may vary depending on phone/software), and there should be an option to toggle chat off/on.

You can either switch it off and use normal texts, but switching it back on ought to resync with your actual number.

Let me know if any of that helps.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.