cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 4G or 5G

tarantella
Rising star

I was in an area yesterday where although the Three coverage checker said there was an excellent 4G and 5G signal the fact is data was non-existent.

When I manually switched to 3G all was good.

What is going to happen in these areas when 3G is switched off ? I know from other posts that Three have said that when 3G is switched off they will enhance the 4G/5G signal, but is that honestly going to become a reality.......by the end of '24 as Three have stated ?

1 REPLY 1
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello. 

It sounds like an issue or fault might have been impacting the current 4G and 5G as you were using it. Typically issues like that are address in order to resolve them so that the existing service can run as expected. 

In relation to 3G going offline. 3G currently occupies a decent sized portion of the same band that is used by the 4G systems. By turning the 3G service off, it frees up the band to be utilised by 4G or perhaps even 5G. This would not only fill the gap left by 3G, but it would use the band more efficiently than 3G ever could have. I guess we'll have to wait a while to find out whether or not this is going to be as simple as allowing the 4G system to spread into the newly created space, or if it's going to be a more complex process of upgrading sites etc. 

Pete. 

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.