cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage & FaceTime activation error

aclon
Regular

Background

• I have a Three eSIM and a paired Apple Watch sharing my cellular data.
  • I transferred my Three eSIM from my old iPhone 14 Pro to my new iPhone 15 Pro Max.
  • I can make and receive calls on my new phone, and I can receive SMS text messages.
  • My eSIM is on a Pay Monthly contract, so credit is not an issue. 

Problem(s)

• I cannot send SMS text messages from my new phone. 
  • iMessage and FaceTime are working on my new iPhone, but only when using my email addresses.
  • My Three number is not working for iMessage or FaceTime. The number appears in the Send & Receive list in Settings > Messages, but there is no checkmark on the number.
  • Nothing happens when I tap on my Three number in the Send & Receive list (normally, this should turn on iMessage for the phone number). No checkmark appears, and I get the error message: iMessage Activation: An error occurred during activation. Try again.
  • In Settings > FaceTime, my Three number is listed under "You can be reached by FaceTime at...", but again there is no checkmark and if I tap on my Three number in the list, I get the error message: FaceTime Activation: An error occurred during activation. Try again. 

I have tried

• Confirming that iCloud and iMessage/FaceTime are all signed in using the same Apple ID
  • Turning iMessage and FaceTime off and on in Settings > Messages and Settings > Facetime
  • Turning iCloud access off and on for iMessage and FaceTime in Settings > Apple ID, iCloud+ ...
  • Resetting network settings in Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone
  • Turning the eSIM off and on again in Settings > Mobile Service
  • Turning Airplane Mode on and off
  • Restarting the iPhone (many, many times, usually after each of the attempted fixes above) 

Three Support

• I called support and was told to wait as the issue will resolve itself. However, it has been more than 24 hours and the issue continues.

Turning FaceTime off and on againTurning FaceTime off and on againTurning iMessage off and on againTurning iMessage off and on againSend and Receive list in iMessage settingsSend and Receive list in iMessage settingsFaceTime settingsFaceTime settingsMessages settingsMessages settings

Best solution
Best solution
StephenK
Employee
Employee

Hi Aclon,

I’d say step one is all your usual troubleshooting processes you’ve likely already completed (airplane mode, turn off and on again, reset network settings). If these issues persist then step two would be a replacement eSIM again, and failing that and if you’re not too fussed then swap to physical sim. 

When it comes to phone sim swaps and iPhone it’s always a bit of a nightmare when it comes to iCloud. Just make sure to restart the device after the sim swap and check your old phone and make sure it no longer has the old eSIM profile.

View solution in conversation

7 REPLIES 7
aclon
Regular

EDIT:

I can send SMS text messages. It was hard to test because I had to find someone on Android! But it does work. The issue is still the same – my Three number is not working with iMessage or FaceTime. 

StephenK
Employee
Employee

When you say you transferred the eSIM did you do it via the data transfer process?

If so I’d advise trying to get a replacement eSIM issued. To do so just call customer services on 333, or pop into a store with an in-date driving licence or passport. Once the emails have arrived with the replacement eSIM details remove your existing one from the phone and start the install process for your new one. This is what I did going from a 14 Pro Max to my 15 Pro Max.

Hopefully that helps, be sure to let us know either way.

Disclaimer:

I'm an employee of Three, and whilst I'm here to help and offer advice, please note that I have no special privileges or access beyond any other user of the community. Any advice I provide is general in nature, and I cannot make specific promises or resolve individual issues. For personalised assistance, please reach out to our official support channels which you can find at https://www.three.co.uk/support/contact-us

aclon
Regular

Hi Stephen! Thanks for replying. Yes, I did the "transfer" by getting a replacement eSIM issued from customer services, did the whole QR code and confirmation code thing. One thing I'm wondering is if it is worth requesting another replacement today and just trying to set up again. And failing that, maybe going back to a physical SIM.

Best solution
StephenK
Employee
Employee

Hi Aclon,

I’d say step one is all your usual troubleshooting processes you’ve likely already completed (airplane mode, turn off and on again, reset network settings). If these issues persist then step two would be a replacement eSIM again, and failing that and if you’re not too fussed then swap to physical sim. 

When it comes to phone sim swaps and iPhone it’s always a bit of a nightmare when it comes to iCloud. Just make sure to restart the device after the sim swap and check your old phone and make sure it no longer has the old eSIM profile.

aclon
Regular

This worked:

• Checked that there was no trace of the eSIM on my old iPhone
  • Deleted the eSIM from my new iPhone
  • Requested a replacement eSIM and activated that
StephenK
Employee
Employee

Glad you’re all up and running again on your new phone! I definitely think the new pros feel much nicer to hold thanks to the weight reduction. Loved my 14 Pro Max but it was a bit hefty to carry all day.

Clever-Trevor
Involved

Hi,

I would make sure Wi-Fi is on 

Make sure ‘ICloud private relay’ is off ( until activation completes )

Then try again….

If still an issue then ‘reset Network settings - then try 

This worked for me