cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit check on upgrade?

rendez2k
Fledgling

Hi all, have a contract thats due to finish in March next year. If I pay the early upgrade fee, do Three run a credit check? Tried a second line and failed so would have to upgrade but no point if check would be run!

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi rendez2k,

Welcome to the Three Community.

I've checked this out with a colleague in the Credit Team, as long as you're upgrading an existing handset account, you won't need a further credit check carried out. If it's a SIM only plan you're upgrading we would still need to do the credit check.

Hope this helps. 🙂
JonathanB

Three Community is celebrating our 2nd Birthday with a prize draw! join in here

View solution in conversation

7 REPLIES 7
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi rendez2k,

Welcome to the Three Community.

I've checked this out with a colleague in the Credit Team, as long as you're upgrading an existing handset account, you won't need a further credit check carried out. If it's a SIM only plan you're upgrading we would still need to do the credit check.

Hope this helps. 🙂
JonathanB

Steveo
Fledgling

Hi

i have tried to upgrade on my account which I have an existing contract about to end which I got a handset and unlimited plan with, was told through my app that I’m eligible but when I place the upgrade through it wanted to credit check and failed which I’m confused as I have already had an upgrade on my account before 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Steveo,

The new Three Your Way plans we launched earlier this year cover device repayments with a 0% APR loan, so this change does involve a credit check. I've sent you a PM with some info on how to appeal the result of the check in case this decision can be overturned for you.

To view your private messages on the community, click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

Thanks,
Jonathan

DMNLJ
Fledgling

I have also had the same issue. Been with 3 around 8-9 years and when I just tried to upgrade on these new plans I failed the credit check. Seems odd considering the length of time I have been with Three

Antg83
Fledgling

Been with three for quite a few years 6+ maybe longer and had several upgrades without any problems.... my minimum term ends beginning of June and have been declined on an upgrade is this normal?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Antg83,

I'm sorry to hear this. Last year we've moved to a new type of plan called Three Your Way. This is an FCA regulated product which includes a 0% APR loan for device plans. This does mean we need to run credit and affordability check with upgrades now.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Saffwell09
Fledgling

Hi. , the same situation has happened with me. Is there a way i could appeal? I’ve been with free for nearly 10 years.