cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect Go Roam 12GB Limit Texts?

Ng85
Regular

I have been in Spain for four days. I received a text after two days to say I had used 80% of the 12 GB fair use limit, and just received another text to say I have used the full amount and will be charged 17p per MB should I continue. The same thing happened to my husband, only on a shorter timeline - he received the 80% text within an hour of landing, and the 100% text a day later.

However, I have checked my account and added up my usage - it is just under 4 GB since we arrived, definitely nowhere near 12 GB. 

The only option we have been offered is to upgrade to £5 per day ‘unlimited’ data passes for the remainder of our stay, and then to claim the cost of these back if, when we get our bill, it shows that we didn’t actually use 12 GB of data in the month. Call me a cynic, but this sounds like a money making enterprise (aka a scam). 

Are these texts going out incorrectly? If this is happening to a lot of customers, all of whom are then advised to purchase the more expensive ‘unlimited’ plan, that adds up to a lot of extra revenue for Three.

@JonathanB I’ve noticed you’re particularly helpful within the community; please could you help me?

Thanks! 

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Everyone,

Our support teams have advised that this issue should now be fully resolved. Please let me know if you're still receiving any of these notifications, and when the message has arrived and we'll ensure that this is looked into further.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

34 REPLIES 34
sc1999
Local celebrity

There have been a few people complaining about these inaccurate text messages but no one has told us what happened to resolve the situation.  When you get this solved please let us know as it may help others.

Thank you.

rmaidur
Fledgling

I believe it is just a fault with the text alert system, and they are going out incorrectly, although not sure why it hasn’t been resolved when it seems to have been an issue for a while. 

I am pretty sure as long as you track your own usage whilst you’re abroad and it doesn’t exceed 12gb then you should be fine to keep using your data - I previously went ‘over’ on my last holiday and did not get charged any more on my bill. I don’t think there’s any need to buy any packages they are offering as you still have data left - as been mentioned before I would trust the app more than the texts, which are incorrect 🙂 Would be useful if they could resolve this though, as just like you said people are unnecessarily purchasing add-ons which they don’t need 

roamymcroamface
Regular

Maybe no comfort but I also received the 80% message, after less than 2 hours!

so it seems like a wider issue with the text messages. I checked on my 'in-billed' usage on the app and it's clear I haven't been used 5%.

probably worth you having a check there, live chat did nothing for me..

CO
Regular

same issue here. received the text saying that I used 100% of the 12GB allowance within 6 hours of arriving in Europe. I have since been able to add up my data usage and the total on the first day came to 0.11GB. 

During my holiday I contacted support team twice plus also had an investigation started, the answer on all occasions was that there was no error and that I had used up my fair data allowance, and the only solution offered was to buy the daily £5 data passport add on. I have contacted them again after my holiday and they finally admitted that this was an error.

Reading through the other messages on the Three community board it is clear that this issue dates back quite a few months and that they are quite aware of this but have no interest in resolving this and have customers buying the daily £5 roaming add on instead. Please make sure you contact Three to get a refund on any add ons they sold you in error. 

Ng85
Regular

Thanks everyone who answered. My husband has spoken to Three and again only been offered the £5 add-on, but we’ve been tracking our usage and are way under 12GB. Will be disputing any additional charges when we get home! 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Ng85,

Sorry it took a while to get back to you on this one, and thanks everyone for your patience with this issue. We've received confirmation that the underlying issue causing some incorrect roaming data notifications should now be resolved.

Please let me know if you do have any further notifications that don't look right though. If anyone is having trouble resolving any sort of dispute around billing for add ons as a result of this issue, please let me know that too.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Scott123
Fledgling

I am also having this problem, is there a way to check if I am being charged or if the text has just come through incorrect. Find it hard to believe I’ve used 12GB in a week whilst hardly being on roaming. 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Scott123,

If you've got any type of Android phone you should usually have an option to check your mobile data usage in settings. Try looking for Settings, Network & Internet, SIMs, then App Data Usage (wording may vary depending on software version and manufacturer).

I'm not aware of an option to do this on iOS currently.

When did you receive the messages from us?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Dal
Regular

Hi, still not resolved as I received the message when I arrived in Croatia on 1st August and again yesterday when my allowance renewed for the month (still in Croatia). I wasted over 2hr with both the telephone and live chat trying to work out what to do. Not happy. Customer service in India was clueless and did not listen