cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g speed very slow and dropping connection

lformela
Regular

Hello, for quite a while my internet connection is utterly slow, and dropping frequently. Whenever I run speedtest I'm getting 5-15mbps on 5g, which is just not acceptable. The Zyxel NR5103E hub is on a window sill, I can see 5g mast from the window.

Interestingly when I switch to mobile data on any of our mobile phones, I'm getting 200mbps+ on speedtest, anywhere in the house.

It's really frustrating, as it's not the first issue and I still pay my monthly bills.

I tried every possible solution, including: setting bands to B1, B3, n77, n78, splitting connection into 2.4ghz and 5ghz, testing different channels manually, numerous factory resets, and even making sure the SIM card sits in tightly.

I'm out of ideas, and can't use my 5g hub really.

I've been on a chat with customer service just to get few copy/paste messages that lead to nowhere. Only my request for a replacement router has not been answered directly.

Please what else can I do?

Best solution
Best solution
lformela
Regular

@JonathanB ,

I truly appreciate your response. So this is strange, but the procedure seems to have fixed the issue.

What I did, in this particular order:
- ran speedtest on 5g wifi - got 3.84mbps,
- ran speedtest on 5g mobile data - got 280mbps,
- inserted SIM from hub into mobile phone, ran speedtest on 5g mobile data - got 300mbps,
- inserted SIM from mobile phone into hub, ran speedtest on 5g wifi - got 250mbps,
- inserted SIM original mobile phone SIM back, ran speedtest on 5g mobile data - got 300mbps,
- inserted SIM original hub SIM back, ran speedtest on 5g wifi - got 550mbps.

As you can see, SIM card from hub was giving normal speeds on mobile already and keeps doing it when I put it back into the hub. I did not switch off the hub when removing/inserting sim, but turned it off for a minute afterwards.

I don't think it has anything to do with switching the hub off though, as I was doing it already for more than few minutes each time in the last few days. I don't know what exactly helped, but problem seems to be gone now.

Thank you again for your help!

View solution in conversation

14 REPLIES 14
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @rubberduck88,

I expect the mast won't be live yet then. They go through quite a bit of testing and benchmarking before they're fully online. 

If the performance on a different device is the same, I'd conclude this is coverage or capacity issues with the network.

I don't know the full technical details of this 120 Mbps issue, but to my understanding we identified some accounts had a settings profile which was outdated and intended for 4G connections rather than 5G.

The fix was automatically updated, so as long as you've rebooted in the last few days then you shouldn't be affected by this, assuming you were previously.

If you PM me your full postcode, I'll happily take a closer look into both the congestion, and the inactive mast. Hopefully I can get you a better idea of any timescales on improvements. You can privately message me from my profile page: @JonathanB 

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

rubberduck88
Fledgling

Hi

Hi JonathanB

I PM'd my post code as requested. Any update on network/mast status? 

Currently I am unable to get a usable 5G connection so unless there is a a fix coming very soon I see no option other than to raise complaint, return hub and get credit for payments to date. I was hoping to test latest V2 Three 5G hub as a possible replacement for my current fibre link (which is rock solid) but this looks completely unfeasible now.

Update Fri 19/04/24

At the suggestion of @JonathanB via pm I have tried this week multiple times unsucessfully to contact/log problem with the enhanced support team. There seems to be some major problems with the web chat platform Three is using - including cutting connection claiming no input received for a while and not timestamping messages on transcript so impossible to see the huge delays.

Just now been on on normal support chat trying to log a cancel & return 5G V2 hub request. After 45 mins got to need to transfer you to relevant dept... and left hanging...... This web chat platform looks to have same issues as the enhance support chat (missing messages typed, replies, delays, incorrect timestamps...)

Even if I could get the 5G V2 hub working (as in solid 5G connection and decent speed - not capped) with this experience of Three support I would not be keeping it. The most useless and frustrating support I have come across in many years!

I ordered hub 23/03/24 so I hope I manage to log a return request before 30 days is up otherwise I foresee Three arguing about full refund.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @rubberduck88,

I appreciate your frustration. I can only speculate but it sounds like you're dealing with the result of an unstable connection based on what you're describing in terms of the chats. Do you have any other connection you can use in order to get in touch with the teams, or are you only able to contact them from your Three Broadband?

If you're struggling to make contact via chat. there's also phone numbers for the Broadband team on our contact us page.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

rubberduck88
Fledgling

Hi @JonathanB

All my attempted connections to Three support/chat are not via Three 5G hub but via my fibre 250 mbps link which has been super reliable for years. The problem is definitely with whatever chat patform Three are using or their infrastructure. I have no such problems with any other chat service. It is almost like the platform is completeley overloaded - it totally misses many messages the user sends (not echoed in chat window) - also messages sent from agent sometimes appear much later with a timestamp that is many minutes behind actual time. Three phone support is a waste of time in my experience and that of many others here.

I gave up with the 5G V2 hub a week ago - the hub and support are a complete non starter for me. The only use I did was to try and do some 5G speed tests which failed miserably as detailed previously.

I finally got thru chat dance yesterday to get 5G hub cancelled. It took over 1 hour on chat to achieve. I will PM you a copy of the chat transcript so you can see just how awful the support channels are.