cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APN issue drops constantly 5G hub

SimonG
Regular

Hi,

I noticed that the three.co.uk APN causes connection drops at least once a day when I use 5G home broadband. Why is that? Anyone experiencing the same issue? I use it because it grants higher datarates.

Best solution
Best solution
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Thanks for confirming. I'll feed this back internally in case something's been missed that could be causing that. 

Pete.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

13 REPLIES 13
Involved

Three broadband is a complete mess. I'd like to know the answer to the question above as well.

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello, Simon. 

The three.co.uk APN is made for mobile phones. It provides a connection that doesn't have the same feature set as a normal home broadband connection. 

For 5G home broadband, there is the 3internet APN. This is set up for providing a full internet experience that supports things like port forwarding, and public IP addressing. 

Pete. 

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

SimonG
Regular

Hi Pete,

The signal even if excellent for 3internet provider is capped to120mbps with low jitter and ping, with the three.co.uk gets to 400mbps but ping and jitter are far higher which makes it not good for low latenc application. On the contract it is written that the average of the broadband should be 150mbps, I don't get to that even if the signal is excellent using 3internet. Why? This sounds to me a violation of the contract. I monitor the signal daily.

Thanks,

S

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

As far as I know, the speed shouldn't be impacted by the APN that's active. Could you test the connection on the Three.co.uk APN and then switch over to 3internet and test again right after to see if you can reproduce the results? 

Pete.

SimonG
Regular

Hi Pete,

Hi have been doing this for days using Ookla and various server and the results are consistent. Environment: excellent signal from Three and line of sight devices in my house with my modem. With 3internet signal gets 120mbps top, when I switch to three.co.uk APN is between 320-340 mbps. This happens with or without reboot of the device. I can post screenshot of this but in this chat is not possible. I didn't manage to talk with technician because there is no available when I call the customer service. Also the best suggestion they gave me ia to reset the modem which clearly doesn't work. Could someone provide a technical and honest explanation for the issue?

Thanks,

S

Involved

EXACTLY THIS! I have been in touch with Three's customer service, complaints department and even the executive team for over a year trying to explain this. It's unbelievable that we, the customers, have to explain the problem to them. @PeteG 

Best solution
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Thanks for confirming. I'll feed this back internally in case something's been missed that could be causing that. 

Pete.

SimonG
Regular

Thanks! That would be great...if something could be done on customer side to debug this, please send me a PM, I volunteer to help, the important is that gets sorted out because it is very frustrating.

Thanks!

Involved

Can someone please update us on this ASAP?

Also, with the three.co.uk APN, there are issues with cPanel and Santander logins - it seems the IP changes constantly.