cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect NR5103 to existing router?

andyasb
Fledgling

Hi there,

Just got an NR5103 which is delivering brilliant results.

I have an existing Netgear Nighthawk X4 router which is connected to a BT ADSL box through it's 'internet' port.

I want to simply replace this BT ADSL connection with the 5G internet connection from the NR5103. I've tried just swapping the cable over but no joy.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Andrew

1 REPLY 1
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @andyasb,

Just to check, when you say no joy, is the Netgear not broadcasting Wi-Fi at all, or can you not connect to the Internet after you swap the cable over?

Generally plugging a secondary router in should just work, but it can cause double NAT issues, which can interfere with certain types of usage like gaming.

I'm not sure if it's going to be precisely the issue here, but for the Zyxel NR5103 I believe you're looking for IP passthrough mode, if you want the Three router to just act as your modem, and the Netgear to manage all your devices. It's not a feature Three can give a lot of guidance on, but you should hopefully find some more advice if you search the community for references to IP passthrough.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.