cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 5G Home Broadband - Upload speed query

craigs85
Regular

Hi everyone.

New customer on the 5G Home Broadband service here, just wanting to ask a few questions.

I was amazed when the website told me I could get 5G in my area, so had to give it a try. Currently coming to the end of my Plusnet landline broadband, and don't want to commit to 18 months or more as FTTP is meant to be available soon, so thought I would try Three's offering.

I am blown away by the download speed. 300mbps+ some times.

However, the upload speeds are more worrying and possibly the deal breaker for me.

Sometimes I get a 4 or 5mbps upload speed, which compares to what I get down the landline with plusnet (but i only get 27mbps download on the land line, as opposed to 300mbps+ at the best times on three).

Throughout the day though, the upload speed drops to less than 2, which gives me some issues.

I have just now ran a speed test and here are the results, and the info from the Cellular page of the Hub iself.

Speedtest: The download was 280, upload was 1.79.

Cellular Tab: 

• Access Technology - NR5G-NSA
  • Band - B1,B3,n78,n78
  • RSSI - -96
  • Cell ID - 815689
  • Physical Cell ID - 238
  • UL Bandwidth (MHz) - 10M,100M
  • DL Bandwidth (MHz) - 10M,15M,100M,30M
  • RFCN - 99,1392,640548,632666
  • RSRP - -110
  • RSRQ - -14
  • SINR - -3
  • RSRP-NSA - -99
  • RSRQ-NSA - -2
  • SINR-NSA - 17
  • TAC - 2102

I have moved it to an upstairs window sill that I think gives the best placement. Would I benefit from an external antenna? The thing that puzzles me is that I can get 5mbps upload speed at certain times, so I think the placement is ok..

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Craig

23 REPLIES 23
sc1999
Local celebrity

Check with Plusnet as BT will upgrade you to fibre as part of your current contract. 

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

I've found the Three 5G Broadband app useful in determining the best location for the router. It provides live signal strength. Connect your phone to the router via Wi-Fi. Move the router to different locations to get a better signal. Lower the RSRP value... better the signal strength.

asmm65
Fledgling

SINR value is worth noting aswell. I used the external omni antenna, while it improves signal strength and RSRP value, it gives me poor SINR value compared to built in antennas hence awful upload speeds.

craigs85
Regular

Appreciate the replies everyone.

Regarding Plusnet/BT, FTTP isn't available in my area yet. Only FTTC which I currently have (although its coming to an end in 30 days). They won't offer rolling monthly contracts (unless I pay double the price), hence me trying this as an alternative.

In the exact same spot, sometimes I get up to 5 download, which will be fine for me. But other times, I get less than 2 which does cause an issue. So I don't think its entirely down to the location of the hub, as that hasn't moved.

Does the upload get throtted at certain times?

I'll still have a walk around with the hub and see where I get the best results. So lower RSRP = better, and lower SINR = better?

I could sacrifice some download speed for a bit better upload if this is possible 🙂

bulldog555
Involved

It's happen to me as I ended up put the 5G Hub in the loft as the upload getting better now

Before was: 450 to 625 / 5 to 8

Now in loft was: 525 to 700 / 11 to 20

bulldog555
Involved

You need to read below

Screenshot.png

lakhash
Fledgling

How did you pull out cellular tab?

craigs85
Regular

Think I just copy and pasted it from the hub login, why?

martcoug1
Regular

The issue is, you need a good 4g signal too, it uses this for upload unless you can cell lock... Three 5g uses NSA not SA... yet