cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 5G Home Broadband - Upload speed query

craigs85
Regular

Hi everyone.

New customer on the 5G Home Broadband service here, just wanting to ask a few questions.

I was amazed when the website told me I could get 5G in my area, so had to give it a try. Currently coming to the end of my Plusnet landline broadband, and don't want to commit to 18 months or more as FTTP is meant to be available soon, so thought I would try Three's offering.

I am blown away by the download speed. 300mbps+ some times.

However, the upload speeds are more worrying and possibly the deal breaker for me.

Sometimes I get a 4 or 5mbps upload speed, which compares to what I get down the landline with plusnet (but i only get 27mbps download on the land line, as opposed to 300mbps+ at the best times on three).

Throughout the day though, the upload speed drops to less than 2, which gives me some issues.

I have just now ran a speed test and here are the results, and the info from the Cellular page of the Hub iself.

Speedtest: The download was 280, upload was 1.79.

Cellular Tab: 

• Access Technology - NR5G-NSA
  • Band - B1,B3,n78,n78
  • RSSI - -96
  • Cell ID - 815689
  • Physical Cell ID - 238
  • UL Bandwidth (MHz) - 10M,100M
  • DL Bandwidth (MHz) - 10M,15M,100M,30M
  • RFCN - 99,1392,640548,632666
  • RSRP - -110
  • RSRQ - -14
  • SINR - -3
  • RSRP-NSA - -99
  • RSRQ-NSA - -2
  • SINR-NSA - 17
  • TAC - 2102

I have moved it to an upstairs window sill that I think gives the best placement. Would I benefit from an external antenna? The thing that puzzles me is that I can get 5mbps upload speed at certain times, so I think the placement is ok..

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Craig

23 REPLIES 23
craigs85
Regular

@bulldog555 wrote:

This one is crap as I try that as 5G hardly picking up!

The new version shoould be lots better with higher gain! New 3400MHz-3800MHz, 5G band with 11dBi gain

https://www.netxl.com/directional-antennas/poynting-xpol-2-5g-directional-mimo-antenna/

Cheers for that. It's an expensive experiment isn't 😥.

Would i not need 4x4 mimo? That one is 2x2 isn't it?

May just give up and go back to land line.

Appreciate your replies

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

If I were having so much problems getting the router to work stably and at the speeds I expect, I would cancel the contract and go back to landline BB even if it is slower. The antenna is expensive and it's not certain it will work.

user0987
Regular

I don't have anything to add, but I want to say that this thread, particularly the user's @bulldog555 responses, has helped me solve my terrible upload speed problem.

I have been suffering from very low upload speed, usually less than 2 Mbps. As my download speed was great and my router's (ZTE) "find the best location" tool was telling me that my signal was perfect I assumed there was nothing I could do. Turns out I just had a bad signal and was probably switching to 4G.

I used a tool on my, also three, phone to find the best location in the house which was kind of unexpected and got from -110 dBm to -90 dBm signal strength which gives me 10-20 Mbps! It's not perfect but I can finally stream again!

MikeP77
Fledgling

I have the same issue. Fantastic download speeds sometimes over 500mbs. But the upload is very poor only around 5mbs, occasionally a little higher. The general consensus is that it's a bandwidth issue. Three want to advertise fast download speeds and are not overly concerned about upload speeds. An external aerial may give some improvement but I have yet to see a recommended model for the NR 5103 V2, plenty for the earlier versions with four external connectors but none for the NR 5103 V2 which has only two external connectors.