cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 5G Home Broadband - Upload speed query

craigs85
Regular

Hi everyone.

New customer on the 5G Home Broadband service here, just wanting to ask a few questions.

I was amazed when the website told me I could get 5G in my area, so had to give it a try. Currently coming to the end of my Plusnet landline broadband, and don't want to commit to 18 months or more as FTTP is meant to be available soon, so thought I would try Three's offering.

I am blown away by the download speed. 300mbps+ some times.

However, the upload speeds are more worrying and possibly the deal breaker for me.

Sometimes I get a 4 or 5mbps upload speed, which compares to what I get down the landline with plusnet (but i only get 27mbps download on the land line, as opposed to 300mbps+ at the best times on three).

Throughout the day though, the upload speed drops to less than 2, which gives me some issues.

I have just now ran a speed test and here are the results, and the info from the Cellular page of the Hub iself.

Speedtest: The download was 280, upload was 1.79.

Cellular Tab: 

• Access Technology - NR5G-NSA
  • Band - B1,B3,n78,n78
  • RSSI - -96
  • Cell ID - 815689
  • Physical Cell ID - 238
  • UL Bandwidth (MHz) - 10M,100M
  • DL Bandwidth (MHz) - 10M,15M,100M,30M
  • RFCN - 99,1392,640548,632666
  • RSRP - -110
  • RSRQ - -14
  • SINR - -3
  • RSRP-NSA - -99
  • RSRQ-NSA - -2
  • SINR-NSA - 17
  • TAC - 2102

I have moved it to an upstairs window sill that I think gives the best placement. Would I benefit from an external antenna? The thing that puzzles me is that I can get 5mbps upload speed at certain times, so I think the placement is ok..

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Craig

23 REPLIES 23
craigs85
Regular

Ah, so upload uses 4G, of which I do have a much weaker signal.

How do I cell lock so it uses 5G?

bulldog555
Involved

There is no cell lock on this router sadly with current firmware B12

craigs85
Regular

Is it worth tinkering with any of the settings on the hub itself?

Such as Access Technology on the Cellular Band setting tab. Currently its set to 'NR5G-NSA/4G (Auto Switch)'.

Would a different option in here make a difference (positive one! 🙂 )

bulldog555
Involved

You have to remember 5G only work with 4G alongside it because Three use NR5G-NSA (none stand alone) at present time mean have to use both 4G and 5G to get 5G working properly.

bulldog555
Involved

You on cell edge (RSRP - -110) that's why u might see very poor speed in upload and the 5G will flick switched between 4G and 5G at all times. Not great!

craigs85
Regular

Understood, thanks for that.

I think I'm basically better off going back to my landland to keep the upload speeds stable, and sacrifice (a LOT) of download speed.

It seems as though I am on the very edge of being able to get a signal here, so its going to be hit and miss isnt it?

bulldog555
Involved

U need one of these antenna and put higher up in the pole on your outside wall and you will see improvement in 5G.

https://router-mods.co.uk/product/bluespot-4g-5g-antenna-698-4000mhz-bi-directional/

For 4G plugged into top two ports in your hub router:

bulldog555
Involved

3437555300899618-htc9nLsV.png

My download and upload are great all day as I put Hub in direct line where I can see the 5G cell tower.

craigs85
Regular

Thanks for the replies.

I was looking at this one but then i was asking myself if i want to risk that amount of money and it not making much difference.

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/42644-poynting-5g-xpol-1-v2-41/specifications/

I think I'll have to switch back and cancel this. Gutting, as when it's good, it's very good, but I can't have a 70% ish service as i work from home

bulldog555
Involved

This one is crap as I try that as 5G hardly picking up!

The new version shoould be lots better with higher gain! New 3400MHz-3800MHz, 5G band with 11dBi gain

https://www.netxl.com/directional-antennas/poynting-xpol-2-5g-directional-mimo-antenna/