cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 5G with NR5103E

boogaloo
Active

From reading around I am clearly not the only one who has suffered from not having 5G on this router. Gutted because I really want this to work!

Firmware is the b12 version and I've tried selecting bands B1/3/20 along with N78, to no avail - the admin portal still shows no signal for 5G cellular WAN. Occasionally, but not always, the hardware LED will light up blue for the internet connection (which supposedly means 5G).

I popped the SIM into my new mobile phone (5G, no wifi) and I get 789Mbps download and 86.8Mbps upload. I do the same speed test (Ookla) with the same device but with just wifi this time and with the SIM in the router... Weirdly, I get 360Mbps down and 71Mbps up. Tried another device and it gets 205Mbps down and 70Mbps up. Maybe I am getting 5G, but it's just not showing in the admin portal?!

Either way, something's awry. Definitely get 5G signal in my home as puting the SIM in my mobile demonstrated. Not sure I'm happy with the faulty router/firmware, though. If I'm getting 5G I definitely want it to say that it is 😂 and if I'm not, well, I want 5G...

Best solution
Best solution
boogaloo
Active

Good news - I got a replacement router today and 5G is pretty solid. I get up to 850Mbps download!! AMAZING.

Thank you to all who recommended getting a replacement router. It was worth the hassle.

View solution in conversation

20 REPLIES 20
boogaloo
Active

Are these speed tests reliable...?

crypt0ninja
Established

Hi @boogaloo 

So when looking at the Cellular Stats page via the router admin portal, what bands is it showing that are connected?

If its not connecting to N78 then you are on 4G, if it appears to show its connected to N78 then it is 5G.

Could be a case you are on 4G+ or something?

Anyway if its definitely not connecting to N78 then its likely you have a faulty router. I personally had an initial faulty NR5103E that wouldn't pick up 5G despite being on b12, replaced it with another one and all is well and connects to 5G just fine. Many others have had the same problem also and replacements seem to be the resolution for those who are unable to get 5G following the b12 firmware update (with the assumption that there are no local mast issues and 5G is working on other devices in the same location).

Let us know if your router is showing that its connecting to N78 or not.

Cheers.

boogaloo
Active

boogaloo_0-1672994005828.png

lovell100
Active

EXACTLY the same as mine, the telltale sign I think is the 5G connection stats when it briefly connects of -150 RSRP,  48 RSRQ, 40 SINR.  This seems to be the common indicator of a faulty router.

boogaloo
Active

I also get this at the same time, though 😂 No 5G on the system info

boogaloo_1-1672994121861.png

boogaloo
Active

Checked again after a disappointing speed test (170 down, 0.8 up) and now no 5G and only two bars of 4G.

boogaloo_0-1672995696420.png

boogaloo
Active

OK, so I put a refresh interval of 5 seconds on the cellular WAN status page and it appears to connect to 5G every 30 - 90 seconds and then drops it about 5 - 10 seconds later, reverting to LTE and no band n78. Sound like a case of needing to return the router to you?

crypt0ninja
Established

Hi @boogaloo 

Just waiting for the mods to approve your images so that I can see them, but from what you have said above it does indeed sound like a faulty NR5103E especially if you get 5G fine on Three in the same location on other devices!

Edtasonic
Regular

Hi, I received my NR5103E yesterday and have been experiencing almost exactly the same thing. Firmware b12 but absolutely no connection to 5G so far, despite a mobile.phone in the same position getting a strong 5G signal. It only seems to get a 4G+ connection. It's never connected to the N78 band at all.