cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky glass and Sky Q issues - three 5g home broadband

p1d9m73
Active

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else was running a sky glass tv off their three 5g home broadband? I'm having a lot of problems viewing on demand programs but it's very random. I can stream something on more 4 but not on my5 and certain movies on the sky cinema channel won't load either. I've been told by sky that it's a security thing, I didn't quite understand it but basically when I try watch something on demand the glass tv sends a request to the ip provider and sky are saying the tv must be getting the wrong answer so the program won't load🤷‍♂️ just wondered if anyone else is experiencing the same? It's only the last 2 months it's started happening, the 1st time it happened it lasted about a week and it's been about a week this time too. All live programs work fine.

146 REPLIES 146
Daz86
Regular

The IPv6 and manual APN fix above has worked for me and sky is now connected

Jamiethree
Fledgling

I can't connect my sky q to my three broadband.

had a new box delivered today and still the smae issue

cp2
Fledgling

I got my 5G router about three weeks ago and my connection speeds have been a rollercoaster ride but mostly acceptable.

A few days ago I experienced some really bad connection speeds but Three’s website indicated that they were working in the area. However my Sky HD box now says that the Broadband Connection is OK but On Demand is on FAIL and resolutely stays their despite reboots of the router and the Sky box and Planner rebuilds.

I’ve just had a long conversation with Sky support and they say that there is a latency issue with the Three router not helped by the connection being less stable than copper or fibre. The handshake can time out at which point data security protocols kick in and downloads are not permitted. I suppose that third party streaming apps could well be outside of that control as they stream rather than download. 
Sky updated the firmware of my box months ago in an attempt to resolve the issue but it doesn’t look like it was fully successful. 

The fix appears to be to keep trying to to reset the connection periodically in the hope that the latency is good enough. The solution is for Three to address the latency, if this is indeed the case as Sky support suggest. Given the a speed test can sometimes fail because of latency issues I am inclined to believe Sky.

cp2
Fledgling

Location, location, location.

Up to losing Sky on Demand I was concentrating on the download speed and paying scant regard to upload. My router location on the windowsill downstairs was fine.

I have now relocated the router upstairs but still with an Ethernet connection to devices downstairs also using Ethernet. Different windowsill but a better upload speed, though my downstairs WiFi seems to be taking a bit of a hit. 
Sky on Demand is now OK but I’ve had that before so only time will tell. I’m feeling a bit more optimistic.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @cp2,

Thanks for sharing this. We've not had any new reports of this issue for a long time now. Hopefully it's down to the 5G signal/resulting upload speed as you say. Please let me know if these issues seem to reoccur though.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

cp2
Fledgling

My router had a bit of a wobble on Sunday so I rebooted it. The On Demand Connection is back to FAIL. I’m not convinced that rebooting the router and the Sky box achieves anything. My question is whether if I just leave both alone will the Sky box eventually reestablish a connection when the wind is in the right direction or do I need to reboot the box to encourage a fresh attempt at connection. I’ve run out of places to relocate the router.

cp2
Fledgling

It's back!

I have been moving the router around a bit, rebooting it and the Sky box, doing a planner rebuild on the Sky box, clearing out the Deleted Section, standing on one leg and whistling. However, I suspect that it came around in its own time and that my efforts did not contribute. 
I understand that is it possible that this problem carries over to SkyQ. I don’t realistically expect an update for the Sky HD box but I hope that they sort it for SkyQ. I would just like to know whether it is just a matter of patience rather than thrashing around.