cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from 5g to 4g+

sparky1967
Fledgling

My 5G home broadband contract is up and I received an email asking me to contact them for the latest deals.

I've been very happy with the 5G service and was expecting to upgrade to a newer device but have been offered a 4G+ hub as an upgrade with the trying to convince me it would be faster than my old 5G hub.. 

Can this be right? Anyone else "upgraded" from 5G to 4G+?

7 REPLIES 7
sc1999
Local celebrity

Hub types would help someone to comment, thanks.

RK
Fledgling

Absolutely not!

garetc
Involved

5G is the latest technology for mobile connectivity, generally especially on Three 5G is significantly faster than 4G.

If you already have a 5G device it’ll connect to 4G or 5G depending on the coverage in your area.

If you take a 4G only device you won’t be able to connect to 5G.

doc1964
Active

I understand your frustration, I currently have 5g on  month to month contract. speed and signal is great but I cannot update to 24 month contract with 3 months free as the network checker does not show 5g as being available in my street, yet it does show 2 streets away.

I only managed to get the 5g router as the month on month deal was no longer available in the shop but the 5g deal was available month to month so guy in shop allowed me to take that deal.

garetc
Involved

Do you own the 5G router? If so you could take a 12/24 month SIM only and put that in it? 

Couple of deals on here: https://3g.co.uk/sim-only that are much cheaper than Three directly. £19 a month unlimited data on a 12m contract.

doc1964
Active

Cheers, but no i don't own it, have it on their £24 a month rolling deal otherwise i would have done that. Thanks for replying.

garetc
Involved

They really need to update the coverage and 5G broadband checker. If they can do it month to month there’s no reason why they can’t allow you to take a longer commitment period with a better value price.  

Personally I would raise a complaint and see where you get. Usually complaints team have greater authority and permissions on the systems.