cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"SIM card not ready" in broadband app; always needing to re-setup, only seems to show when on 4G+

TheWinterNight
Regular

Hello,

Received my 5G router and SIM card yesterday. For disclosure, I live in an area with excellent 5G coverage indoors/outdoors with Three. 

I'm having various issues. Firstly, despite having internet working, I am only getting 4G speeds no matter where I place it and when the internet icon turns blue, then in the broadband app, I am constantly getting "SIM card not ready" despite it being confirmed as activated, and it appears to show this when it's trying to connect to 5G, because the only time I get the connected view with the signal strength etc is when I'm on 4G+. At times. the internet symbol will go to blue, but it seems to go back to the green (i.e 4G) the moment you actually then use the internet.

I have tried resetting the hub, putting the SIM card back in...everything. 

I would be very grateful for some help.

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19
sc1999
Local celebrity

I cannot offer any help other than to say that if you are getting 5g on your phone that there is no guarantee that you get 5g broadband. Have you tried 333 customer services.

Ohters who may be able to help will be asking for router model and software version.

TheWinterNight
Regular

It was confirmed I was in a strong 5G zone with Three for the broadband. 

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Hi. Have you tried the usual putting the SIM into a phone to see if it behaves as expected? 5G? Downloading a big file such a 6GB movie to see if the signal strength drops?

You mentioned "resetting the hub" but is this just restarting or a factory reset?

I'm assuming you have a Zyxel NR5103E router?

TheWinterNight
Regular

Hey!

Yes, I put it in my phone and was getting 5G with no issue, with good signal by the window where the router is. I was getting speeds double of what I'm getting with the SIM in the router. I did a factory reset and I can confirm that is the router I have, yes!

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

There one thing you could try and that's to set the bands manually. From the web configurator, note down the bands used in the Cellular Info page. Mine use B1, B3 and n78.

Go to Network Setting > Broadband > Cellular Band > disable Auto Band Selection

Select the bands in the list and Apply. You also try omitting one of the B bands but n78 remains for 5G.

Otherwise it sounds like a faulty router that needs replacing.

TheWinterNight
Regular

Yep so I tried to change the bands, but even before that, it has ZERO 5G signal when looking at the bar. Only LTE, so when I switched the bands, I got no internet at all. Something must be wrong the router, because in the phone the SIM behaves totally normally and I get v strong 5G on it. 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @TheWinterNight,

I'm sorry to hear that your new router has not been connecting to 5G. I've seen a small number of cases like this where the NR5103E seemed to have a hardware fault and would not connect to 5G signal. I'll send a private message to get you in touch with some colleagues that can help further.

To view your private messages on the community, click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

TheWinterNight
Regular

Hi Jonathan,

I can't see your message sorry. 

I actually spoke to the tech team who weren't very helpful. They refused to assume my hardware could have a problem (as I just wanted to try replacing the router), they said they'd have people look into the 5G signal in my area but I've heard nothing. The 5G signal in my area with Three is excellent, though, so I'm not too happy right now. 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @TheWinterNight,

I've sent another one just in case. Are you checking your private messages inbox on the community? It's in the menu that appears when you click on your avatar/profile image in the top right of a community page Here's a couple of images for where to look:

Mobile browser:

JonathanB_1-1680776093102.png

PC Browser:

JonathanB_0-1680776034231.png

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.