cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"SIM card not ready" in broadband app; always needing to re-setup, only seems to show when on 4G+

TheWinterNight
Regular

Hello,

Received my 5G router and SIM card yesterday. For disclosure, I live in an area with excellent 5G coverage indoors/outdoors with Three. 

I'm having various issues. Firstly, despite having internet working, I am only getting 4G speeds no matter where I place it and when the internet icon turns blue, then in the broadband app, I am constantly getting "SIM card not ready" despite it being confirmed as activated, and it appears to show this when it's trying to connect to 5G, because the only time I get the connected view with the signal strength etc is when I'm on 4G+. At times. the internet symbol will go to blue, but it seems to go back to the green (i.e 4G) the moment you actually then use the internet.

I have tried resetting the hub, putting the SIM card back in...everything. 

I would be very grateful for some help.

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19
TheWinterNight
Regular

Thanks. Jonathan, very weird, I guess I didn't get a notification for the first one. Speak to you there!

JoshhDaw
Regular

Can you do this for me please. Customer service being no help and having the same issue!

ShamoneLee
Fledgling

I have the exact same issue, any chance you could help me also to fix my hardware?

Thanks

Lee

dane_1977
Fledgling

Hi, apologies for hijacking this thread, but i am having identical issues with same router.

@TheWinterNight did your issue get resolved with a replacement router.  Contacted chat but was told tests run and all was working fine.

@JonathanB could you recommend any other approaches i could take please?

Many Thanks, 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @dane_1977,

I'm sorry to hear that you're also running into these issues. I wouldn't consider it a hijack if it seems to be the same problem, no need to apologise.

Just to check, have you tried experimenting with what bands you're connecting to as @Anvil_Iron described in the replies on this thread? The issue may be down to the local masts/coverage so it's best to try this first, so we can be more sure that it's a faulty router. 5G Broadband currently uses a combination of 4/5G so we've seen a few instances where the automatic connection latches onto a 4G mast when 5G is available.

Have you been able to test if you get 5G on any other devices? For example, do you use Three for your phone too, or do you have an unlocked 5G phone you can pop the router SIM in?

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

TheWinterNight
Regular

Unfortunately not, they've refused to replace my router, just saying they'll have a team look into the 5G in my area which is a bit of a cop out, as multiple tests showcase the Three 5G to be excellent where I am.

dane_1977
Fledgling

Hi @JonathanB yes i get 5G fine on the phone with three sim.  I've also tried locking to the N band - the router is also showing as blue on the top.  Just not able to make any progress with customer services chat.

Any other way to prove if the router is faulty?  Obvious symptom is when the router seems to try to connect to 5G, the 5G app states sim card is not ready.  Then flips back to 4G+.  The connection is never dropped.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks, 

AndrewM
Fledgling

I have exactly the same issue as described above, same set of conditions and solutions tried. 

dane_1977
Fledgling

Hi @AndrewM i pretty much had to beg support to send me a replacement router.  Initially they were going to cancel the contract and start a new one - but i said i did not want another credit search.  Stick with support - complain, etc.  The new router turned up, plugged in and connected to 5G like a dream!

JoshhDaw
Regular

I had a different issue and they cancelled my 10 month in contract and I set a new one up. Only to get this issue now!