cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada and using esim

Collie
Fledgling

Hello, visiting Canada will be installing an esim for data. Data roaming off, Wi-Fi calling on. 
Will be calling uk ( home ) numbers either using WhatsApp or over Wi-Fi. 
will be calling local ( Canadian numbers ) using Wi-Fi calling. 
Will I be charged for making phone calls ? I believe not to uk numbers but what about local ?

Thanks. 

Best solution
Best solution
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

WiFi calling is not supposed to work abroad. However, if for some reason it does connect, calls placed over WiFi calling are treated the same as calls made over the mobile network. You would be charged the same local rate as you would be if you made the call with WiFi calling turned off. 

Pete.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

11 REPLIES 11
Collie
Fledgling

Hi Pete, in going for 30 plus days so the go roam cost would be £200 or more. I’m buying an esim data only ( not from three this is additional to my physical three SIM card ). The way it works is that data roaming is switched off and it will use the esim data for WhatsApp etc. what I’m trying to establish is if i use WhatsApp to call a local number then I will be using the esim data. What happens if I have Wi-Fi calling enabled and call the number just using phone feature ( not WhatsApp ) will it work? Will I be charge ? 

Best solution
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

WiFi calling is not supposed to work abroad. However, if for some reason it does connect, calls placed over WiFi calling are treated the same as calls made over the mobile network. You would be charged the same local rate as you would be if you made the call with WiFi calling turned off. 

Pete.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.